Mar 10, 2013, 10:07 PM EDT
Yes, a tricycle — you read that right. Todd Zolecki recounts the accident:
The Houston Astros had a mid-inning tricycle race between two men, who pedaled from the home dugout down the third-base line past the visitors’ dugout down the first-base line. One of the contestants steered his tricycle smack into Manuel, who was seated on the warning track between pitching coach Rich Dubee and catching coach Mick Billmeyer.
Billmeyer and Dubee nearly collapsed from laughing.
The contestant has yet to confirm he wasn’t secretly paid by the Nationals and Braves to take Manuel out.
Manuel jokingly added that his pitching coach displayed cowardice. He said, “Dubee was supposed to stop him there, isn’t he? He’s supposed to save me. He let me get run over.”
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)