Derek Jeter will resume playing shortstop this week

Mar 10, 2013, 11:03 AM EDT

derek jeter getty Getty Images

Andy McCullough of the Newark Star-Ledger has an update on the health status of one Derek Jeter:

Jeter is scheduled to play as a designated hitter again on Monday. After that, he said, it’s possible he could play shortstop in a game. He plans to discuss the situation with manager Joe Girardi.

“If that’s what he feels he’s ready to do, then we’ll do it,” Girardi said. “He has a 100-percent clearance from the doctor.”

Jeter recieved that “100-percent clearance” on Thursday after meeting with the North Carolina-based physician who performed his October ankle surgery. He served as the Yankees’ DH in his Grapefruit League debut on Saturday, going 1-for-2. Jeter will DH again on Monday but may return to shortstop Tuesday or Wednesday.

Jeter, 38, batted .316/.362/.429 with 15 home runs, 99 runs scored and 58 RBI in 740 plate appearances last season for New York. He broke his left ankle in Game 1 of the ALCS against the Tigers.

1. proudlycanadian - Mar 10, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Some good news for the Yankees.

• proudlycanadian - Mar 10, 2013 at 11:55 AM

“paperlions” would probably say that it is also good news for the rest of baseball.

2. scrock25 - Mar 10, 2013 at 11:58 AM

It absolutely is, he’s an icon and steward of the game. Anytime he’s on the field it’s better for baseball.

• abaird2012 - Mar 10, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Anytime he’s on the field at SS for the Yankees, it’s better for the REST of baseball …

3. jjpileggi - Mar 10, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Serving more and more as the DH will be a good thing for the Yankees. They need a righty bat. You can live with a weaker bat/better defender at SS while Jeter can last longer and stay productive at DH.
    John Pileggi

• bolweevils2 - Mar 12, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Yeah, but Jeter’s offense is really only good enough to justify a DH spot vs. LHP. Against righties, Jeter’s 3 year OPS is only .675. And it’s presumably getting worse at this point. Even if you give him some offensive bonus points for the intangible stuff he does well, it’s hard to justify a sub-.700 OPS at DH.

4. southofheaven81 - Mar 10, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Range gift basket HAW HAW HAW!!!!

Did I do that right?

• historiophiliac - Mar 10, 2013 at 12:54 PM

not really

5. airedale1950 - Mar 10, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Which one of you Jeter haters ever played a game in the bigs at shortstop? Played minor league ball?Played the game in college? High school? American Legion? Little League without Daddy being your coach?
    None of you. You know nothing of the REAL game….But keep throwing stones…the opinion of some of you baseball experts really really carries a lot of weight….in your little worlds of zero.

• mrfloydpink - Mar 10, 2013 at 3:02 PM

I’ve never made a movie, so I guess I am unqualified to judge whether or not The Godfather is a better film than Breakin’ 2: Electric Boogaloo.

I’ve never worked in a restaurant, so I guess I am unqualified to judge whether Wolfgang Puck is a better chef than the guy at my local McDonald’s who mans the Big Mac station.

I’ve never been an artist, so I guess I am unqualified to judge whether Mona Lisa is a better painting than Dogs Playing Poker.

• historiophiliac - Mar 10, 2013 at 3:17 PM

My little world of zero is part of the Rebel Alliance and does not fear your geezer Sith Lords. Doom Watch 2013!

• asimonetti88 - Mar 10, 2013 at 5:13 PM

I played Little League without Daddy being my coach

6. mrfloydpink - Mar 10, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Derek Jeter will resume “playing shortstop” this week

There. Fixed that for you.

7. yousuxxors - Mar 10, 2013 at 5:11 PM

to the both of you…. the best judges are objective.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5202)