Mar 10, 2013, 8:34 PM EDT
A group of geese is called a gaggle. A group of lions is called a pride. What do you call the Dodgers’ collection of starting pitching?
With a rotation that already includes aces Clayton Kershaw and Zack Greinke, as well as Hyun-Jin Ryu, Chad Billingsley, and Josh Beckett, the Dodgers are in a position to deal at least one of Ted Lilly, Chris Capuano, and Aaron Harang. The Boston Globe’s Nick Cafardo reports that Lilly is the most likely to be dealt:
Ted Lilly, LHP, Dodgers — Growing interest in the lefty, who missed most of last season after May, as he makes his way back from shoulder surgery. There seems to be more interest in the 37-year-old Lilly than in Aaron Harang or Chris Capuano, two extra Dodgers starters who also could be dealt. The Dodgers are holding on to all of them until they are assured that Chad Billingsley is 100 percent ready after undergoing treatments to his elbow this offseason that enabled him to bypass Tommy John surgery.
Lilly posted a 3.14 ERA in the eight starts he made early in 2012 before going on the disabled list. Capuano bounced back after a rough 2011 with the Mets, finishing with a 3.72 ERA in 198.1 innings. Harang had his second consecutive solid season, ending 2012 with a 3.61 ERA in 179.2 innings. Any of the three would be an upgrade at the back of most starting rotations, but teams likely won’t start calling the Dodgers until the regular season nears. The Dodgers’ leverage in negotiations will be weaker, meaning that they would have to eat more of the pitchers’ salaries.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 3
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 23
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 13
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 183
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (183)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)