Mar 10, 2013, 11:21 PM EDT
The Dominican Republic defeated Puerto Rico 4-2, earning first place in Pool C and the right to play Pool D winner Italy in the second round. They staked starter Wandy Rodriguez to a 1-0 lead in the first inning after stringing together three consecutive one-out singles, the RBI provided by Edwin Encarnacion.
Puerto Rico took the lead in the fourth. Alex Rios singled to lead off the inning, but Rodriguez retired Carlos Beltran to get the first out. At that point, though, Rodriguez had thrown 61 pitches, reaching the pitch count limit and had to be taken out. Lorenzo Barcelo entered in relief and immediately surrendered a two-run home run to Mike Aviles. Barcelo escaped the frame without any further damage.
Robinson Cano immediately tied the game in the top of the fifth, leading off with a solo home run. The D.R. would tack on two more runs, one in the sixth on an Alejandro De Aza double and one in the seventh on a Nelson Cruz ground out.
The Dominican Republic bullpen was lights out, holding Puerto Rico to three hits — all singles — in the final four frames. Fernando Rodney breezed through the ninth inning, retiring Aviles, Eddie Rosario, and Pedro Valdes for the save.
Puerto Rico will play Pool D runner-up United States.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)