Mar 10, 2013, 11:21 PM EDT
The Dominican Republic defeated Puerto Rico 4-2, earning first place in Pool C and the right to play Pool D winner Italy in the second round. They staked starter Wandy Rodriguez to a 1-0 lead in the first inning after stringing together three consecutive one-out singles, the RBI provided by Edwin Encarnacion.
Puerto Rico took the lead in the fourth. Alex Rios singled to lead off the inning, but Rodriguez retired Carlos Beltran to get the first out. At that point, though, Rodriguez had thrown 61 pitches, reaching the pitch count limit and had to be taken out. Lorenzo Barcelo entered in relief and immediately surrendered a two-run home run to Mike Aviles. Barcelo escaped the frame without any further damage.
Robinson Cano immediately tied the game in the top of the fifth, leading off with a solo home run. The D.R. would tack on two more runs, one in the sixth on an Alejandro De Aza double and one in the seventh on a Nelson Cruz ground out.
The Dominican Republic bullpen was lights out, holding Puerto Rico to three hits — all singles — in the final four frames. Fernando Rodney breezed through the ninth inning, retiring Aviles, Eddie Rosario, and Pedro Valdes for the save.
Puerto Rico will play Pool D runner-up United States.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 58
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (97)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional