Mar 10, 2013, 11:21 PM EDT
The Dominican Republic defeated Puerto Rico 4-2, earning first place in Pool C and the right to play Pool D winner Italy in the second round. They staked starter Wandy Rodriguez to a 1-0 lead in the first inning after stringing together three consecutive one-out singles, the RBI provided by Edwin Encarnacion.
Puerto Rico took the lead in the fourth. Alex Rios singled to lead off the inning, but Rodriguez retired Carlos Beltran to get the first out. At that point, though, Rodriguez had thrown 61 pitches, reaching the pitch count limit and had to be taken out. Lorenzo Barcelo entered in relief and immediately surrendered a two-run home run to Mike Aviles. Barcelo escaped the frame without any further damage.
Robinson Cano immediately tied the game in the top of the fifth, leading off with a solo home run. The D.R. would tack on two more runs, one in the sixth on an Alejandro De Aza double and one in the seventh on a Nelson Cruz ground out.
The Dominican Republic bullpen was lights out, holding Puerto Rico to three hits — all singles — in the final four frames. Fernando Rodney breezed through the ninth inning, retiring Aviles, Eddie Rosario, and Pedro Valdes for the save.
Puerto Rico will play Pool D runner-up United States.
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 1
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 36
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 26
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 60
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)