J.A. Happ frustrated with his role in Toronto

Mar 10, 2013, 7:02 PM EDT

J.A. Happ AP

J.A. Happ was one of several odd men out after the Blue Jays acquired R.A. Dickey, Mark Buehrle, and Josh Johnson via trades with the Mets and Marlins. The 30-year-old lefty is on the outside looking in and the subject of many trade rumors, which has made him unhappy.

Happ has a career 4.19 ERA in 590 career innings, including a 5.08 ERA over the last two seasons with the Astros and Blue Jays. The Jays will decide, if Happ is not traded, whether he is better suited to start the season in the bullpen as a long reliever or with Triple-A Buffalo in the starting rotation.

1. jaysjunkie - Mar 10, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Happ’s viewpoint isn’t a surprise at all. When he was traded from Houston last year and put in the bullpen he voiced his unhappiness, although very tactfully to his credit. I sympathize with the guy…if he’s convinced he’s a starter (and I don’t think he’s more than a fourth or fifth starter) then any other role is gonna be hard to swallow. I do like the Jays apparent plan of sending him to AAA to assure some depth in case one of the starters go down, but if that’s gonna leave them with a disgruntled player then I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see Happ moved.

2. paint771 - Mar 10, 2013 at 8:18 PM

I feel for him too, but for big league clubs in this day and age, there is no such thing as a rotation without question marks. I think the sixth starter – a long reliever / spot starter or a AAA short notice callup guy (Happ this year, Villaneuva last year) is a really vital piece on a team built to contend. It must be really tough to be that guy and just wanting to be a fifth man on a rotation, but there is not a doubt in my mind it makes the club infinitely better.

So, while I feel for Happ, I feel for my Jays more. He should stay right where he is.

• proudlycanadian - Mar 10, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Agreed; however, the rotten way Cecil is pitching, Happ will probably start the season in the pen.

3. officialgame - Mar 10, 2013 at 10:27 PM

He should change his name to J.A. UnHappy.

4. eshine76 - Mar 10, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Its not like Happ hasn’t had chances to prove himself worthy of a bring in a rotation.

5. 11thstreetmafia - Mar 11, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Some good team is going to end up with this guy at the back of their rotation. Too bad my team sucks.

6. Old Gator - Mar 11, 2013 at 7:48 AM

If J A Happ had a daughter, she’d be Miss Happ too.

7. kelshannon19 - Mar 11, 2013 at 9:44 AM

I don’t feel bad for Happ. As an Astros fan, every fifth day he took the bump and it was over before it began. 2 innings and 7 walks later…..

8. chc4 - Mar 11, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Happ is under the mistaken impression that someone actually cares whether he’s happy.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win