Mar 10, 2013, 2:02 PM EST
From beat writer Greg Johns of MLB.com comes word that Mariners reliever Josh Kinney will be out of commission for the next “several weeks” because of a stress reaction on the left side of his rib cage.
Kinney was expected to open the 2013 regular season in a middle relief role, but he can be ruled out for Opening Day and probably won’t be ready for a rehab assignment until late April or early May.
The 33-year-old right-hander registered a cool 3.94 ERA and 1.22 WHIP in 35 relief appearances last season, fanning 36 batters in 32 innings. He signed a one-year, $700,000 contract with Seattle this winter as a first-year arbitration-eligible player.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)