Mar 10, 2013, 2:02 PM EDT
From beat writer Greg Johns of MLB.com comes word that Mariners reliever Josh Kinney will be out of commission for the next “several weeks” because of a stress reaction on the left side of his rib cage.
Kinney was expected to open the 2013 regular season in a middle relief role, but he can be ruled out for Opening Day and probably won’t be ready for a rehab assignment until late April or early May.
The 33-year-old right-hander registered a cool 3.94 ERA and 1.22 WHIP in 35 relief appearances last season, fanning 36 batters in 32 innings. He signed a one-year, $700,000 contract with Seattle this winter as a first-year arbitration-eligible player.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (74)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (70)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (70)