Mar 10, 2013, 2:02 PM EDT
From beat writer Greg Johns of MLB.com comes word that Mariners reliever Josh Kinney will be out of commission for the next “several weeks” because of a stress reaction on the left side of his rib cage.
Kinney was expected to open the 2013 regular season in a middle relief role, but he can be ruled out for Opening Day and probably won’t be ready for a rehab assignment until late April or early May.
The 33-year-old right-hander registered a cool 3.94 ERA and 1.22 WHIP in 35 relief appearances last season, fanning 36 batters in 32 innings. He signed a one-year, $700,000 contract with Seattle this winter as a first-year arbitration-eligible player.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 1
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 37
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 118
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (118)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)