Mar 10, 2013, 4:23 PM EDT
Bill Center of the San Diego Union-Tribune has the goods:
The Padres have possibly suffered their first significant injury of the spring.
Infielder Logan Forsythe will miss at least three to four days with plantar fasciitis.
“He’s got a foot issue and we’re going to stay away from it for three or four days,” Padres manager Bud Black said after Forsythe missed a second straight day. “We’re having it looked at.”
That’s great news for Jedd Gyorko, who boasts a .915 OPS through 32 Cactus League plate appearances and is hoping to steal the Padres’ starting second base job from Forsythe.
Forsythe’s foot problems date back to his time at the University of Arkansas. He is hoping that the 3-4 days of rest will help things and that the plantar fasciitis will be manageable throughout the 2013 regular season.
The Padres medical staff gave Forsythe a cortisone injection, which should speed up his recovery.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)