Manny Ramirez officially signs with Taiwan’s EDA Rhinos

Mar 10, 2013, 11:50 AM EDT

manny ramirez getty Getty Images

Manny Ramirez was unable to get a chance with a major league team, so he is headed overseas.

CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reports that Ramirez “will touch down Monday” in Kaohsiung, Taiwan and will suit up this summer for the EDA Rhinos of the four-team Chinese Professional Baseball League. His exact salary has not been disclosed, though ESPN Deportes’ Enrique Rojas noted in February that the best CPBL players typically top out at about $12,000 a month. Which extrapolates to $144,000 a year.

Ramirez, 40, batted just .302/.348/.349 in 69 plate appearances last year for the Athletics’ Triple-A affiliate in Sacramento, California. But he had a decent showing this offseason in the Dominican Winter League.

1. dondada10 - Mar 10, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Does 4 teams constitute a league?

2. Jeremiah Graves - Mar 10, 2013 at 12:10 PM

I give this “adventure” six weeks, tops.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Mar 10, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Hard to believe a 5-tool guy like Manny can’t get a MLB gig. I mean, he can run, or at least walk at a brisk pace, catch if it’s not too far from him, throw way better than I can, hit if it’s not pitched too hard, and hit for power when he does hit it. And as far as I know, he’s never been tainted by any allegations of running any kind of kidnapping ring. So what’s the problem?

• jcmeyer10 - Mar 10, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Have you been paying attention? He’s the TO of the MLB. It’s not about his tools, it’s that he is a tool. He pushed over an old man in charge of tickets for the Red Sox. He has tested positive for PED’s at least twice among just being a headache.

I’d rather pay two kids who have 15 years left in their career than deal with that head case.

• pisano - Mar 10, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Dude, have you been hiding under a rock for the last five years? this guy is a black eye to MLB, get a clue. Also as jcmyer10 posted… he’s a TOOL.

• jwbiii - Mar 10, 2013 at 9:20 PM

The manufacturer of my sarcasm detector recommends changing the batteries at daylight savings time changes.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Mar 11, 2013 at 2:41 AM

Thank you jwbill! I suppose that in order to detect that I was very obviously being sarcastic, one would have had to actually read the words I wrote. Seriously, if I heard that my favorite team was even thinking of signing Manny, you would hear my screams, wherever you are.

• stlouis1baseball - Mar 11, 2013 at 4:02 PM

He’s a tool alright.

3. 13arod - Mar 10, 2013 at 12:11 PM

I bet you he will get relased brcause he used steriods again :)

• abaird2012 - Mar 10, 2013 at 12:57 PM

I doubt they’d bother testing …

4. tfbuckfutter - Mar 10, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Who wants to bet the first instance of trouble we find out about involves Chinese food?

• chacochicken - Mar 10, 2013 at 1:50 PM

I’m betting Manny adds 20 lbs from the noodle bars alone. He looks like a pork bun type of guy to me.

• jcmeyer10 - Mar 10, 2013 at 2:49 PM

He charges a restaurant worker because they wouldn’t give him a free plate for his date.

5. jcmeyer10 - Mar 10, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Whenever I am having a bad day, I will just look at their logo and it will make me laugh.

• indaburg - Mar 10, 2013 at 3:51 PM

It looks like the rhino version of Hello Kitty.

6. stlouis1baseball - Mar 11, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Hahaha! The rhino version of Hello Kitty. Hahaha!
    That is exactly what it looks like. Hahaha!
    Good call Inda…

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3044)