Mar 10, 2013, 11:50 AM EDT
CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reports that Ramirez “will touch down Monday” in Kaohsiung, Taiwan and will suit up this summer for the EDA Rhinos of the four-team Chinese Professional Baseball League. His exact salary has not been disclosed, though ESPN Deportes’ Enrique Rojas noted in February that the best CPBL players typically top out at about $12,000 a month. Which extrapolates to $144,000 a year.
Ramirez, 40, batted just .302/.348/.349 in 69 plate appearances last year for the Athletics’ Triple-A affiliate in Sacramento, California. But he had a decent showing this offseason in the Dominican Winter League.
This is the logo for the Taiwanese baseball team that Manny Ramirez just officially joined: twitter.com/drewsilv/statu…
— Drew Silva (@drewsilv) March 10, 2013
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)