Mar 10, 2013, 12:32 AM EDT
David Wright hit a grand slam in the fifth inning of tonight’s contest that resulted in a 6-2 victory for the U.S. over Italy, keeping their hopes alive in Pool D. The U.S. had stayed within striking distance of Italy, trailing 2-1 entering the fifth.
Italy scored twice, once in each of the first and second innings. In the first, U.S. starter Ryan Vogelsong uncorked a wild pitch with two outs, allowing Mike Costanzo to score from third base. In the second, Tyler LaTorre singled with two outs and scored on an Anthony Granato double.
The U.S. chipped away in the fourth after Italy replaced starter Luca Panerati with Marco Grifantini. Ryan Braun led off the inning with a single and quickly touched home on a Joe Mauer double to left. Grifantini lost control in the fifth, walking Adam Jones to lead off the inning, then surrendering a single to Jonathan Lucroy to put runners on first and second. Matt Torra came in to attempt to extinguish the flames, but with one out, Brandon Phillips singled to right to drive in Jones and tie the game. Joe Mauer walked with two outs to load the bases for David Wright, who fouled off a couple pitches before squaring up a change-up, promptly deposited beyond the fence in left-center. The U.S. went up 6-2 and never lost control from there.
The win brings the U.S. to 1-1 in Pool D, tied with Canada. Italy has already clinched a berth in the second round, but seeding will be determined by run differential. The U.S. and Canada will play for the right to advance tomorrow at 4 PM ET.
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 3
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 8
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 10
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 35
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (95)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)