U.S. rallies late against Canada to advance in WBC

Mar 10, 2013, 7:29 PM EDT

USA v Canada - World Baseball Classic - First Round Group D Getty Images

The U.S. rallied late against Canada to advance out of Pool D to the second round in the World Baseball Classic. Canada got on the board early thanks to a two-run home run by Michael Saunders off of U.S. starter Derek Holland. Holland was otherwise solid, allowing just the two runs over five innings of work, striking out four while walking one.

The U.S. tied the game in the fourth against Canada starter Jameson Taillon. Joe Mauer singled and David Wright walked to quickly put runners on first and second to lead off the frame. Ben Zobrist dropped a bunt towards third baseman Taylor Green, forcing him into making  a throwing error and allowing Mauer to score. Wright would score on an Adam Jones sacrifice fly to bring the game to 2-2.

Glen Perkins relieved Holland in the sixth and immediately got into trouble, walking Joey Votto and surrendering a single to Justin Morneau. He bounced back, getting Saunders to strike out and Chris Robinson to fly out, but Adam Loewen hit a two-out single to right to put Canada back on top 3-2.

The U.S. took its first lead of the game in the eighth with an emphatic rally after Joe Mauer singled and David Wright walked against Canada reliever Jimmy Henderson. Zobrist again bunted, but this time had poor results as he popped up to the catcher, appearing to snuff out a rally before it even began. However, Adam Jones picked up his teammate, doubling to center scoring both pinch-runner Willie Bloomquist and Wright to put the U.S. up 4-3. An insurance run was added on a two-out Shane Victorino bloop single to left.

Canada tried to fight back in the bottom-half of the inning, but only managed one run after loading the bases with one out. Adam Loewen grounded out to second base, allowing Canada’s fourth run to score, but that was all U.S. relievers David Hernandez and Steve Cishek would allow.

The U.S. got back that insurance run and more in the top of the ninth. Jonathan Lucroy singled to right with one out, driving in Brandon Phillips, who had doubled to lead off the inning. Wright walked and Zobrist hit an infield single to load the bases. With two outs, Eric Hosmer doubled to center, clearing the bases and staking the U.S. to a 9-4 lead.

Craig Kimbrel, who had begun to warm up when the U.S. was up 5-3, entered with a five-run lead. Baseball’s best reliever shut down Canada in 1-2-3 fashion, striking out Votto to seal the victory.

The U.S. and Italy advance out of Pool D into the second round. Beginning on Tuesday, they will do battle against the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico.

1. richyballgame - Mar 10, 2013 at 7:37 PM

‘Murica.

• chill1184 - Mar 10, 2013 at 7:39 PM

F Yeah!

2. historiophiliac - Mar 10, 2013 at 7:37 PM

GOOOOOD BLESS AMERICAAAAAA/LAND THAT I LOOOOVE/STAND BESIDE HER/AND GUIDE HER/THROUGH THE NIGHT/WITH A LIGHT FROM ABOVE

FROM THE MOUNTAINS/TO THE PRAIRIES/TO THE OCEANS/BLACK WITH OOOOOOOOILLLLL/GOOOD BLESS AAAAMERICAAAAAA/MY HOME SWEET HOOOOOME

GOOOD BLESS AMERICAAAAAA/MY HOOOOME SWEET HOOOOOOOME!

• paperlions - Mar 10, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Nice, but you forgot the corn fields. While there is a bit of prairie around, we did till/dig all of it up at one point…..I guess it’ll grow back (or more likely, turn into desert) once the aquifer is depleted.

• historiophiliac - Mar 10, 2013 at 9:23 PM

There’s a Tall Grass Prairie Preserve up by the Kansas border. The land there hasn’t been tilled…and, as a bonus, buffalo roam there. I brought a buffalo chip back to a friend in Massachusetts once…

• paperlions - Mar 10, 2013 at 9:25 PM

That’s a nice story.

• historiophiliac - Mar 10, 2013 at 9:26 PM

That was back when you could still carry shit onto planes.

Freaking Taliban!

• paperlions - Mar 10, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Yeah, the good old days.

One summer I did field work in El Yunque in eastern PR. The boss wanted us to bring back a bunch of live walking sticks for dietary preference studies in the lab. We brought about 50 of them back in boxes with some wire mesh for them to hang onto….the look on the girls face in security when the boxes went through the x-ray was hysterical.

• historiophiliac - Mar 10, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Eeek!!!

I also used to carry on gallon jugs of barbecue sauce. I miss being able to bring my favorite beer back from DC. :(

• indaburg - Mar 10, 2013 at 9:09 PM

This land is your land, this land is my land/From California, to the New York Island/ From the redwood forests, to the Gulf Stream waters/This land was made for you and me.

In the shadow of the steeple I saw my people/By the relief office I seen my people/
      As they stood there hungry, I stood there asking/Is this land made for you and me?

My home sweet home, the good and the bad. (Damn, Nyquil makes me sentimental.)

• historiophiliac - Mar 10, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Then there was this sign there that tried to stop me/Had a sign up/said Private Property/On the back side it didn’t say nothin’/that side was made for you and me….

Cuz no one living is gonna stop me/as I go walking this freedom highway/nobody living’s gonna make me turn back/cuz this land was made for you and me.

• blacksables - Mar 10, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Sign, sign, everywhere a sign

Blockin’ out the scenery, breakin’ my mind

Do this, don’t do that, can’t you read the sign?

That’s Canadian, by the way.

• historiophiliac - Mar 10, 2013 at 9:32 PM

PS I did consider doing the poem about a battle we lost set to the tune of an old drinking song instead, but went with the 7th inning stretch spoiler in the end.

• paperlions - Mar 10, 2013 at 10:03 PM

Yeah, well….the best version of that song is by Tesla….a good ‘ol USofA rock-n-roll band.

• historiophiliac - Mar 10, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Figures you’d like them. Thanks for not hating on the WBC today. I think, since we won, this should be a Rush-free zone until the Canadians take it back from us.

• Kevin S. - Mar 10, 2013 at 10:10 PM

No, I think us winning means that Rush is ours now and they can’t have it back.

3. blacksables - Mar 10, 2013 at 7:39 PM

That’s “white with foam”. We get the majority of our oil from overseas. Please, stop listening to Bill O’Reilly.

• historiophiliac - Mar 10, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Frack you!

• jwbiii - Mar 10, 2013 at 8:16 PM

blacksables, The US was a net oil exporter in 2011. We produce the a little over half of our oil in the US and our largest seller is Canada.

• blacksables - Mar 10, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Fair enough. My perception from when I dealt with oil companies is a little out of date.

4. randygnyc - Mar 10, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Histrophiliac doesn’t listen to to Bill O. That sounds more like that dirt bad Rachel Madcow.

• chill1184 - Mar 10, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Its cute that some people still think theirs a dimes worth a difference between a conservative and a liberal

• historiophiliac - Mar 10, 2013 at 7:52 PM

It’s cute that some people pay for TV and waste time watching talking heads.

• blacksables - Mar 10, 2013 at 8:26 PM

You expect people to think for themselves and form actual opinions?

Anarchist.

• chill1184 - Mar 10, 2013 at 8:29 PM

@blacksables

Thats anarcho-capitalist libertarian thank you very much

• historiophiliac - Mar 10, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Well, not JimmyMarlinsFan obviously, but yeah, would be nice for everyone else.

5. redguy12588 - Mar 10, 2013 at 7:48 PM

As a pirates fan, I couldn’t be happier. Taillon was lights out, he made Braun look silly, axford struggled, and the USA won.

6. historiophiliac - Mar 10, 2013 at 7:51 PM

BTW, are we getting a Venezuela post because — DAMN! — they finally decided to show up.

• indaburg - Mar 10, 2013 at 8:34 PM

…against Team España (snicker)…

• historiophiliac - Mar 10, 2013 at 8:35 PM

I know. Geez. I guess I’m rooting Dominican now.

• indaburg - Mar 10, 2013 at 8:38 PM

¡Yay! :-)

• Francisco (FC) - Mar 10, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Yeah, I’m most definitely NOT rooting for the Dominican Republic, they showboat way too much against us in the Caribbean Series.

That said I won’t be upset if they win it all. I just want to watch good baseball.

• indaburg - Mar 11, 2013 at 7:35 AM

I haven’t watched much of the Caribbean Series. What do they do, exactly, to showboat?

• historiophiliac - Mar 11, 2013 at 8:22 AM

Win.

• Francisco (FC) - Mar 11, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Oh those two teams always have a it (even Puerto Rico), whoever is winning at the time will make the usual gestures against the other dugout.

• indaburg - Mar 11, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Ah, the usual Latino male peacock feather fluffing.

• Francisco (FC) - Mar 11, 2013 at 11:52 AM

That’s one way to put it yes. To be fair I wouldn’t expect Dominicans to root for Venezuela.

7. proudlycanadian - Mar 10, 2013 at 8:03 PM

It was a fun game to watch until the last inning. The good news for Canada is that the dastardly Mexican team will have to qualify for the next WBC.

• blacksables - Mar 10, 2013 at 8:16 PM

The Canadians vs the Mexicans on American soil. NAFTA works!!!!!

Also, this will in the future be known as “The Battle of Green Cards”.

The winner gets a 10% increase in their allocation.

• proudlycanadian - Mar 10, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Who wants to go to the US? Canada has a significantly lower unemployment rate than the US.

• blacksables - Mar 10, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Do you really want to get into:

the exchange rate

the cheaper shopping (why else do all those Canadians come over the border every Saturday)

the lower taxes

more jobs available

and that’s only the Canadians. Do we need to cover the reasons why Mexicans come to the US?

• chill1184 - Mar 10, 2013 at 8:40 PM

@blacksables

Well according to some Paleocons its apart of the super secret jewish plot to commit white genocide.

• misterchainbluelightning - Mar 10, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Exchange rate?
        1 USD = 1.03 CD

Much lower Taxes that’s a fact

More jobs available is funny when you don’t consider the # of people looking for jobs

And Mexicans come to the US because they are in Mexico

Weak man very weak

• badintent - Mar 11, 2013 at 4:27 AM

Clinton squeaked that bill passed, thanks to vice prez Gore’s vote.It screwed Canada, of course, they were too busy having hockey riots to notices.Even Mexico got the shaft, some town had to pay some American toxic waste company $27 million dollars in damages thanks to the Free Trade(oxymoron) Court (no apppeal possible ) ruling.Stick to hockey and ice fishing, goofy nuffy. no Stanley Cup in Canada ………………EVER AGAIN

• jwbiii - Mar 10, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Is that true? Last time, only the 2009 winless teams were forced to qualify. This time, it would be Brazil, Spain, and Australia. If run differential is used as a tiebreaker, then Mexico (1-2 -5) finished ahead of Canada (1-2 -8).

• Francisco (FC) - Mar 10, 2013 at 10:54 PM

I think Head-to-Head is factored in 1st. In that scenario Canada finishes ahead of Mexico.

8. mobil4life - Mar 10, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Screw Canada. That country sucks.

• historiophiliac - Mar 10, 2013 at 8:15 PM

No, they’re beavers. It should be “bites.” Canada bites.

• blacksables - Mar 10, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Either way, no teeth.

9. Cereal - Mar 10, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Adam Jones is the goods, he’ll be fun to watch in October

• paperlions - Mar 10, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Is he going to be a guest announcer or something?

• jwbiii - Mar 10, 2013 at 9:15 PM

I was guessing Cereal likes to hang out at San Diego area golf courses. Torrey Pines looks really nice.

• historiophiliac - Mar 10, 2013 at 11:22 PM

It was pretty funny when he crashed the broadcasters’ desk at the All-Star Game last year. Smashin’ them ribs!

10. cshearing - Mar 10, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Good game, with some high drama in the bottom of the 8th. Too bad Loewen could not crack an extra baser there.

Good luck USA.

11. interiorfan - Mar 10, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Congrats to the US on their big win. Stay classy, as always, America.

12. thomas844 - Mar 10, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Great win for the USA but they have to really step it up if they want to compete against the likes of the DR or Japan. Still, I think they can pull it off. Being a Reds fan it was weird cheering for Kimbrel as he struck Votto out lol.

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (3007)