Mar 11, 2013, 2:14 PM EDT
Larry Walker said he “saw Satan” in Alfredo Aceves‘ eyes during Saturday’s brawl between Canada and Mexico. So what did Aceves see while being punched by Tyson Gillies and tackled by a half-dozen other Canadians?
Here’s what he told Alex Speier of WEEI.com:
That was the first time I saw him there. Like I said, it’s part of the game. He was trying to defend his team. If it were me, I’d try to do the same thing. What can I say? It didn’t surprise me when he threw me to the floor. I reacted to it, because I didn’t do nothing to him. I was just calming down. The fighting was with the pitcher and the hitter. So I was saying, “Calm down, man, calm down, come on, man.”
And he just grabbed me and threw me on the floor. So I was like, “I’m going to throw you on the floor, man.” Then when I jumped in to this guy, I had seven guys against me. … You’re locked in. You’re just trying to defend and knock them out. That’s it. We were trying to defense ourselves. We didn’t do nothing to him. He just threw me.
Aceves’ inner-monologue sounds amazing.
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 2
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 11
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 71
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 9
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 86
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- There’s nothing better than a Game 7? Well, maybe there is. 24
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)