Alfredo Aceves on brawling with Canada: “You’re just trying to defend and knock them out”

Mar 11, 2013, 2:14 PM EDT

Tyson Gillies, Alfredo Aceves AP

Larry Walker said he “saw Satan” in Alfredo Aceves‘ eyes during Saturday’s brawl between Canada and Mexico. So what did Aceves see while being punched by Tyson Gillies and tackled by a half-dozen other Canadians?

Here’s what he told Alex Speier of WEEI.com:

That was the first time I saw him there. Like I said, it’s part of the game. He was trying to defend his team. If it were me, I’d try to do the same thing. What can I say? It didn’t surprise me when he threw me to the floor. I reacted to it, because I didn’t do nothing to him. I was just calming down. The fighting was with the pitcher and the hitter. So I was saying, “Calm down, man, calm down, come on, man.”

And he just grabbed me and threw me on the floor. So I was like, “I’m going to throw you on the floor, man.” Then when I jumped in to this guy, I had seven guys against me. … You’re locked in. You’re just trying to defend and knock them out. That’s it. We were trying to defense ourselves. We didn’t do nothing to him. He just threw me.

Aceves’ inner-monologue sounds amazing.

1. DelawarePhilliesFan - Mar 11, 2013 at 2:20 PM

You know….as one who has said Mexico was clearly wrong, and as a Phillies Homer (Gillies is in the Phillies system, for those who don’t know), I have to say if Satan was in anyones eyes, it was Gillies.

Maybe ala the run rule, this too is a misunderstanding…..maybe Larry Walker said he saw Santa in Aceves eyes

2. unclemosesgreen - Mar 11, 2013 at 2:23 PM

His inner monologue pales in comparison to his batting practice eephus ball routine. That one never gets old.

3. misterchainbluelightning - Mar 11, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Don’t run into a fight not ready to fight, don’t purposely throw a baseball at a Canadian Baseball player full of other Canadians and think that you’re not going to get beat down and cause the rest of your team to take part in the beatdown, because you are and you did.

• unclemosesgreen - Mar 11, 2013 at 2:28 PM

A Canadian baseball player who is full of other Canadiens would appear to be some sort of horrifying cannibal, and fair game for getting hit by a pitch.

• proudlycanadian - Mar 11, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Had to laugh at that one.

4. deathmonkey41 - Mar 11, 2013 at 2:26 PM

After making the statements above, Aceves began to speak with some facility in a strange tongue or to understand it when spoken by another, had the faculty of divulging future and hidden events, and then displayed powers which were beyond his age and natural condition. So weird.

5. qcubed3 - Mar 11, 2013 at 2:26 PM

The fights in the stands were no less “amazing”. I was at the game, and I got called a Canadian M-F- Fa—ot, then that guy tried to punch me in the back of the head, my friend tried to hold him back and then he got sucker punched, then that same guy grabbed his baby while trying to stomp on my friend, and then when my friend got up, the Mexcian fan still tried to punch my friend while holding his freaking baby. It’s so cowardly and stupid, you couldn’t even conceive of it. It was like that Seinfeld episode where George runs through the kids. So yeah, stay “amazing” Mexico.

What was no less amazing were the 100 Mexican fans taunting the two 60+ yr old Canadian fans who finally had to be ushered out by the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Officers.

• indaburg - Mar 11, 2013 at 3:22 PM

I was wondering how bad it got for the fans there. Every once in awhile on tv, there was cheering completely unrelated to the actions on the field. I hope no one got too hurt. Unless they deserved it.

6. unclemosesgreen - Mar 11, 2013 at 2:27 PM

7. cur68 - Mar 11, 2013 at 2:29 PM

I know its popular to assume the worst of Aceves, but honestly he got jumped from behind, clobbered while being held around the neck, and and didn’t throw any punches till he was tackled, grabbed, and hit multiple times. I’m kind of failing to see how he’s the bad guy here.

My people were the victim of an intentional HBP, sure BUT they made a spirited attempt to beat the crap out of Aceves for pretty much nothing. I’d say its pretty even in the ‘blame to go around’ front and not much of it sticks to Aceves.

• stlouis1baseball - Mar 11, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Wow Cur. What is it with you defending Pitchers who choose to get caught up in the on-field rucus?
      And Red Sox pitchers at that! Closet Red Sox fan? Hmmmm…..

• cur68 - Mar 11, 2013 at 4:39 PM

I’m having a hard time putting aside the video evidence in both incidents being cited here. In each case the Red Sox player was NOT the aggressor and in each case they were within their rights to defend themselves. It so happens they are Sox and pitchers. This is mere co-incidence, but, for the record, may all Red Sox players wake up with with a plague of locusts in their pyjamas.

The point of sicking up for Pedro and Aceves is that they were attacked unprovoked. What uniform they wear is pretty secondary. I take a pretty dim view of railroading people because they are unpopular, belong to a certain group, or play for a certain team.

• unclemosesgreen - Mar 11, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Ha! Touche, Cur. But Riposte! May a flock of camels nest in your armpit.

• cur68 - Mar 11, 2013 at 5:00 PM

So that’s what that smell is….
        Dang all camels. Dang them to heck.

• stlouis1baseball - Mar 11, 2013 at 5:12 PM

“I take a pretty dim view of railroading people because they are unpopular, belong to a certain group, or play for a certain team.”

I see. So you are a regular Mother Theresa.

s/

8. bostonboy82 - Mar 11, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Does Aceves know the game was on TV an we all seen what happened?

• donniev77 - Mar 11, 2013 at 4:46 PM

I SAW what happened. I haven’t SEEN a beating of the English Language like that in a while.

9. El Bravo - Mar 11, 2013 at 3:47 PM

A Canada vs. Mexico brawl on American soil. I don’t understand how this could go any other way. It’s real life poetry that only the gods could write.

10. sdemp - Mar 11, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Unwritten rules apply in baseball regardless of location and rules. As a player you know if the hitter before you bunts late in a game up big you may wear one. Take your base and shut up, if you don’t want to get drilled than don’t be stupid. Besides that idiot went in hard (bit dirty) sliding in at second earlier and that is also good reason to get plunked.

Canada should have been happy, they now have two guys on base because of the bunt and can run up the score even more.

Oh yeah, they could have won by 100 and they still would be going home so save the excuses.

Baseball is baseball.

11. aceshigh11 - Mar 11, 2013 at 6:00 PM

This man is a sociopath.

12. theskinsman - Mar 12, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Stupidity by the Mexican team. Maybe they didn’t understand the run differential rule?

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5446)