David Ortiz is doubtful for Opening Day

Mar 11, 2013, 9:50 AM EDT

David Ortiz has been having issues with his heels. Now those issues seem to be impacting his availability for Opening Day:

So that MRI he had apparently had some bad news about it.

Ortiz, who hit .318/.415/.611 with 23 home runs, 60 RBI and a 1.026 OPS in 90 games last year, is critical to the Red Sox bouncing back this year, obviously. So this is some pretty crummy news for Boston.

1. Jeremiah Graves - Mar 11, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Is there a division more wide-open than the AL East this year?! For the first time in well over a decade, I feel like EVERY SINGLE TEAM in that division could finisher anywhere from first to last and I wouldn’t bat an eyelash. It should make for some intriguing baseball this summer.

If I had to guess, right now, gun to my head…I’d go like this:

Toronto – Too much talent, relatively YOUNG talent to be exact, to not run away with it.
    Tampa Bay – Fernando Rodney will cost them the division this year.
    New York – Age + Injuries are finally catching up.
    Boston – Ellsbury is out of town by July.
    Baltimore – I can’t believe they’re for real yet.

• unclemosesgreen - Mar 11, 2013 at 10:02 AM

As a Red Sox fan I’d just like to say how very sick it makes me feel to agree with you.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Mar 11, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Biased obviously, but I really like the Yankees pitching staff top to bottom. They have a 1-2 (CC/Kuroda) to matchup with anyone else’s, and the back of the staff is deep as well. I also like their bullpen better than everyone elses. Unfortunately that lineup leaves a lot to be desired, so I could see a ton of 2-1 or 3-2 games the first month/6 weeks.

But yeah, the division is a toss up from top to bottom. Should be a lot of fun, and by fun I mean heart attack inducing.

• cur68 - Mar 11, 2013 at 1:05 PM

The Regular Season better start soon. All this “on paper” stuff is giving me gout. I’ve lost track of the number of teams that spent big in the off season, added stars all over the place, looked great in spring training, got touted by everyone to “win it all” then TANKED in the regular season.

The Beav DO look good and the guys they’ve added ARE legitimately good at getting on base, hitting for average, driving in runs, or preventing runs BUT until we play ‘em, The AL BEast is anyone’s animal. I, probably more than anyone commenting on here (besides PC), wants the Beav to win it all, BUT I’ve been burned before so I’m not making any predictions or offering to run around naked if they fail to win “X” number of games.

2. proudlycanadian - Mar 11, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Do the Red Sox have anyone capable of replacing his power? Without him, I expect that the team will have to try to manufacture runs.

• Jeremiah Graves - Mar 11, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Lavarnway could be an interesting option. They could also use his absence as a way to get Gomes and Napoli into the lineup without putting them in the field as often. I’m not sure there is a legit replacement for him, but they’ve got some guys without a set place in that lineup or guys who could stand to DH a bit rather than butcher things up with the leather.

It’ll be interesting, here’s hoping he gets healthy and goes back to mashing. I’m not a Red Sox fan, by any stretch, but I do find the game a lot more fun when Big Papi is crushing rather than limping around and looking washed up.

3. historiophiliac - Mar 11, 2013 at 12:25 PM

I also am out for opening day. No wave-participation or jumping up and down for me. The knee needs physical therapy. I’m strictly on beer support.

4. lphboston - Mar 11, 2013 at 12:50 PM

The Red Sox have no one to blame but themselves for giving Ortiz the Lifetime Achievement Award contract that he whined about for two years.

Ortiz’s contract basically is a bribe to keep him quiet and finally get some peace and quiet in the clubhouse after two years of beer, chicken, Bobby Valentine and players sending text messages to ownership about how tough they have it.

They knew Ortiz had bad heels when they gave him the deal, they knew he produced better numbers playing FOR a contract than WITH one, and shame on them if they don’t suspect that he may even be a little older than he admits to.

5. kedaco - Mar 11, 2013 at 6:34 PM

What a shame another “roids” user having trouble with his body breaking down. Seems to be a familar pattern going on here.

Pineda ejection wrong message from MLB
  1. I. Davis (3651)