Mar 11, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
Don Mattingly is entering the final season of his contract and the Dodgers manager told Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times that he doesn’t expect to get an extension before Opening Day.
Not only that, but Mattingly explained that if the Dodgers and their record $230 million payroll don’t live up to the high expectations this season he would understand if ownership wanted him gone:
If we don’t win and we’re healthy, they really should look at it. This team has a lot of talent. My job, and my coaches’ job, is to get them to play the game right. If we can’t get them to play the game right, they may have the wrong voice. There’s a ton of talent here.
You don’t hear many managers say that type of thing and it’ll be awfully easy to trot out those quotes if the Dodgers get off to a slow start. In his first two seasons Mattingly went 82-79 and 86-76, failing to make the playoffs in both years.
It’s also worth noting that the Dodgers have a 2014 option on Mattingly that they haven’t exercised yet despite the manager asking them to do so. So if the team gets off to a good start or makes a deep playoff run they aren’t at risk of losing him either.
Jun 30, 2015, 12:23 AM EDT
We often take intentional walks for granted. Four tosses to the catcher. How hard can it be? Pretty hard, at least sometimes.
Jun 29, 2015, 11:45 PM EDT
Hamilton now has 40 stolen bases on the year, which is more than 15 MLB teams. You are reading that correctly.
Jun 29, 2015, 9:58 PM EDT
You’ve probably heard this advice for hitting knuckleballers before: If it’s low, let it go. If it’s high, let it fly. Well, Red Sox third baseman Pablo Sandoval took that to the extreme tonight against R.A. Dickey of the Blue Jays…
Jun 29, 2015, 9:09 PM EDT
Of course that happened.
Jun 29, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
Brewers outfielder Khris Davis needed surgery about a month ago for a torn meniscus in his right knee.
Jun 29, 2015, 8:09 PM EDT
It was reported over the weekend that the Dodgers and Cubs were among the teams with interest in a trade for Mets left-hander Jon Niese.
Jun 29, 2015, 7:28 PM EDT
Ramirez has been cleared to swing a bat and Red Sox manager John Farrell is optimistic that he’ll be able to return during the team’s four-game series in Toronto this week.
Jun 29, 2015, 7:01 PM EDT
Moore had Tommy John surgery last April.
Jun 29, 2015, 6:14 PM EDT
Casilla has mostly played at the Triple-A level for the past two seasons.
Jun 29, 2015, 5:40 PM EDT
Cron hit well at Triple-A, batting .323 with six homers and a 1.014 OPS.
Jun 29, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
It’ll only cost you a cool $3.8 million.
Jun 29, 2015, 5:03 PM EDT
More bad health news for a guy who has had his fair share of it in his brief career.
Jun 29, 2015, 4:35 PM EDT
As of now, Ruben Amaro is in control here, in the White House. Er, I mean in the Phillies’ front office.
Jun 29, 2015, 3:50 PM EDT
Six of the eight spots seem all but settled.
Jun 29, 2015, 3:40 PM EDT
By this time next week we may have an actually acceptable All-Star squad for the Junior Circuit.
Jun 29, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT
I know which one I’d choose, but then again I’m biased on the subject.
Jun 29, 2015, 3:22 PM EDT
Alejandro De Aza is starting in his place.
Jun 29, 2015, 2:39 PM EDT
He will become President, overseeing baseball and business operations, at the end of the season.
Jun 29, 2015, 1:21 PM EDT
Billingsley has missed six weeks.
Jun 29, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
It wasn’t just the Giants who signed on to the amicus brief.
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 58
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 17
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)