Mar 11, 2013, 11:32 AM EST
If you somehow missed it over the weekend there was a big brawl between the Mexican and Canadian World Baseball Classic squads. The cause: the Mexican team forgetting that run differential matters and getting honked off at the Canadians dropping down a bunt with a big lead in the ninth. The primary instigator: Mexican third baseman Luis Cruz, who gestured to his pitcher to plant one in the next batter’s ribs.
Cruz was silent after the incident on Saturday, but he’s speaking now. Sort of. But at least what he says makes sense:
Luis Cruz: “I lost it.” When asked if he apologizes to Canadians, simply repeats, “I lost it.” #Dodgers
— Bill Shaikin (@BillShaikin) March 11, 2013
There was no further discipline besides the ejections, but it does at least sound like Cruz is serving out a short sentence of embarrassment and self-flagellation.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (111)