Luis Cruz on the WBC brawl: “I lost it”

Mar 11, 2013, 11:32 AM EST

Luis Cruz

If you somehow missed it over the weekend there was a big brawl between the Mexican and Canadian World Baseball Classic squads. The cause: the Mexican team forgetting that run differential matters and getting honked off at the Canadians dropping down a bunt with a big lead in the ninth.  The primary instigator: Mexican third baseman Luis Cruz, who gestured to his pitcher to plant one in the next batter’s ribs.

Cruz was silent after the incident on Saturday, but he’s speaking now. Sort of. But at least what he says makes sense:

There was no further discipline besides the ejections, but it does at least sound like Cruz is serving out a short sentence of embarrassment and self-flagellation.

1. xsturmin8 - Mar 11, 2013 at 11:42 AM

The TV-commentators kept spewing that stuff about Mexico not understanding that run-differential mattered as a tie-breaker. I think that’s a load of crap. Whether or not it was worth it for the Canadians to play however possible to score more doesn’t make it any less disrespectful to the Mexicans to do it that way. It doesn’t justify a plunking or a brawl, but the way people are trying to justify the strategy by calling the Mexican players and coaches stupid is just silly to me.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Mar 11, 2013 at 11:46 AM

“disrespectful to the Mexicans to do it that way”? So you are contending that playing for a run is okay, as long as it is not done via the bunting for a base hit?

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Mar 11, 2013 at 11:49 AM

It’s also worthy to note Mexico’s own manager blamed it on a misunderstanding of that rule

• mscott4 - Mar 11, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Hi Team Canada, this is Team Mexico. Enclosed you will find a list of our approved ways for you to score late in a game when already leading. Please note reaching base and scoring in ways other than those on our approved list may have unintended consequences such as Alfredo ‘Satan’ Aceves getting ‘Venturaed’ in the forehead. Also note, there are no approved ways to reach base or score when ahead. Just don’t do it. You’ve been warned.

Sincerely,

Team Mexico

P.S. Wish us luck for Round 2

• Chris Fiorentino - Mar 11, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Exactly. You would think that a team has never rallied from a 6-run deficit in the 9th inning of a baseball game in the history of the sport. I know the Phillies came back from 9 runs down in the 9th inning, sometime around 1990 against the Dodgers. Wonder if the Dodgers were following the “unwritten rulebook” that game??? It’s ridiculous.

• historiophiliac - Mar 11, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Dude, you have lived a long time on that win.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Mar 11, 2013 at 2:13 PM

@ Chris – it was actually 8 runs down in the 9th, but they scored all 9 runs with just one out. They were 10 runs down in the 8th. Sil Campusano made the first and third out. 1:30 AM in the East, and for reasons I can not explain, I was still up and watched the whole thing.

@ Hist – contact me in 20 years, and I still will be talking about it ;)

• djpostl - Mar 11, 2013 at 7:49 PM

You’re an idiot.

2. APBA Guy - Mar 11, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Cruz is clearly campaigning to be traded to Arizona. His “grit factor” -a proprietary metric developed by the Diamondbacks front office- is reportedly “off the charts”.

3. proudlycanadian - Mar 11, 2013 at 11:55 AM

At least he now realizes that he made a mistake. Still, I would not be surprised if some Canadian born pitchers throw a few inside pitches to him, just to “brush him back from the plate”.

• hasbeen5 - Mar 11, 2013 at 12:35 PM

I know you said “brush him back,” but in the thread the other day someone suggested that he should probably wear catcher’s gear to the plate when he faces a Canadian pitcher. I find it odd, with all of the posts and comments on this site that are anti-beanball and since this whole thing started over his calling for a beanball, that the proposed retaliation is in fact a beanball.

• proudlycanadian - Mar 11, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Incidently, the guy who actually needed 3 attempts before he hit the batter was just sent to the minors by the A’s. Obviously he is not very good at his job.

4. indaburg - Mar 11, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Yesterday, I said snarkily that the guilt was punishment enough. Go figure. It appears I was right.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Mar 11, 2013 at 2:15 PM

lmao, I actually was thinkign about your post when I saw this. You called it! :)

5. clarenceoveur - Mar 11, 2013 at 12:35 PM

The only thing more ridiculous in baseball than these “unwritten rules” is the player not even realizing the written rules of this competition.

• cur68 - Mar 11, 2013 at 1:28 PM

^^^^This

6. onbucky96 - Mar 11, 2013 at 2:09 PM

What’s the problem? That brawl was the best thing to come out of the WBC. Take the WBC out back and go Old Yeller on it, it makes the WNBA seem relevant.

7. jpat2424 - Mar 11, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Mexico sucks and so do Mexicans

8. dans4fun - Mar 11, 2013 at 6:19 PM

I met Juan Cruz as he exited the dugout on the way to the clubhouse after the game. I told him good game and shook his hand. He smiled and patted me on the back. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I was wearing a Canada WBC jersey.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester