Mar 11, 2013, 11:32 AM EDT
If you somehow missed it over the weekend there was a big brawl between the Mexican and Canadian World Baseball Classic squads. The cause: the Mexican team forgetting that run differential matters and getting honked off at the Canadians dropping down a bunt with a big lead in the ninth. The primary instigator: Mexican third baseman Luis Cruz, who gestured to his pitcher to plant one in the next batter’s ribs.
Cruz was silent after the incident on Saturday, but he’s speaking now. Sort of. But at least what he says makes sense:
Luis Cruz: “I lost it.” When asked if he apologizes to Canadians, simply repeats, “I lost it.” #Dodgers
— Bill Shaikin (@BillShaikin) March 11, 2013
There was no further discipline besides the ejections, but it does at least sound like Cruz is serving out a short sentence of embarrassment and self-flagellation.
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 1
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 10
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 20
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 8
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 44
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (245)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)