Mar 11, 2013, 9:20 AM EDT
Before Melky Cabrera was suspended this past summer, the Giants were engaged in conversations with Cabrera about a deal that would’ve paid the outfielder something in the range of $75 million of $85 million …
He added in an update yesterday that the Giants said a deal wasn’t necessarily close, but there was no denial of the discussions either.
I offer this only as a reminder to those people who like to point to Cabrera’s $16 million deal as some sort of affront and/or proof that taking PEDs pays. To the contrary, Melky’s positive PED test cost him as much as $69 million dollars. SIXTY-NINE MILLION DOLLARS. Plus the salary he lost during his suspension.
I presume we are going to have stiffer PED penalties in the near future. And that the rash of positive tests for testosterone and the like last season are significant reasons for that. But to suggest that there are not deterrents against drug use in place already is ridiculous. It’s just that some people — most notably Melky Cabrera — are too clueless to be deterred.
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 9
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 29
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 17
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 30
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)