Mar 11, 2013, 9:20 AM EDT
Before Melky Cabrera was suspended this past summer, the Giants were engaged in conversations with Cabrera about a deal that would’ve paid the outfielder something in the range of $75 million of $85 million …
He added in an update yesterday that the Giants said a deal wasn’t necessarily close, but there was no denial of the discussions either.
I offer this only as a reminder to those people who like to point to Cabrera’s $16 million deal as some sort of affront and/or proof that taking PEDs pays. To the contrary, Melky’s positive PED test cost him as much as $69 million dollars. SIXTY-NINE MILLION DOLLARS. Plus the salary he lost during his suspension.
I presume we are going to have stiffer PED penalties in the near future. And that the rash of positive tests for testosterone and the like last season are significant reasons for that. But to suggest that there are not deterrents against drug use in place already is ridiculous. It’s just that some people — most notably Melky Cabrera — are too clueless to be deterred.
- The Cubs to announce the hiring of Joe Maddon on Monday 37
- Cubs fire manager Rick Renteria, clear way for Joe Maddon 69
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 24
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 120
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 31
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 108
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 83
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (282)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game (120)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)