Mar 11, 2013, 9:20 AM EDT
Before Melky Cabrera was suspended this past summer, the Giants were engaged in conversations with Cabrera about a deal that would’ve paid the outfielder something in the range of $75 million of $85 million …
He added in an update yesterday that the Giants said a deal wasn’t necessarily close, but there was no denial of the discussions either.
I offer this only as a reminder to those people who like to point to Cabrera’s $16 million deal as some sort of affront and/or proof that taking PEDs pays. To the contrary, Melky’s positive PED test cost him as much as $69 million dollars. SIXTY-NINE MILLION DOLLARS. Plus the salary he lost during his suspension.
I presume we are going to have stiffer PED penalties in the near future. And that the rash of positive tests for testosterone and the like last season are significant reasons for that. But to suggest that there are not deterrents against drug use in place already is ridiculous. It’s just that some people — most notably Melky Cabrera — are too clueless to be deterred.
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 3
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 17
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (89)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)