Ten Things I learned from my trip to Spring Training

Mar 11, 2013, 4:30 PM EDT

Today is my first day back at work in the fortified compound and I’m just now starting to feel back in the swing of things. It’s a good time, then, to look back at my ten days in the desert and talk about some of the things that stuck out, for better, for worse, for important and for not. So here’s what I learned, in no particular order:

1. Yasiel Puig is a big young (?) man

source: API saw the Dodgers four times. Just a quirk of the schedule, I guess. Cuban import Yasiel Puig played in all of those games. And he generally looked pretty good. He’s a big, big fellow who hit a home run against the Indians a week ago Sunday that may still be flying someplace. Just impressive power and I’m rather high on his chances to make an impact. But something else notable: at the risk of breaking my “don’t make accusations unless you have some proof” rule, I will say that if Puig truly just turned 22 years-old like the Dodgers say he did he’s the most mature 22 year-old I’ve ever seen. Maybe I’m totally wrong — and I’ll admit I’m just speculating off the old eyeball test — but the guy looks like he could have teenage children of his own. Maybe it doesn’t matter. And I’d say a much bigger problem for him and the Dodgers is his tendency to swing at fastballs in his eyes. But I don’t know if I’d be giving this guy seven year contracts.

2. Jurickson Profar looks overmatched

A guy who is more reliably young, the Rangers’ infielder and baseball’s top prospect Jurickson Profar, looked pretty overmatched in the early going. I saw him play twice and his at bats looked … unplanned. When he did have a decent idea of what was coming he didn’t handle it well. And this was against pitchers who were still working on stamina and things and weren’t trying to be too fine. I know spring stats should be ignored, but it’s hard to ignore how ineffective Profar has been so far. To the extent Rangers fans are hoping for him to have a big impact, their hope may be better saved until he’s had a bit more seasoning down on the farm.

3. My heart is going to be broken by Nate Robertson and/or Scott Kazmir, I can just feel it.

I got to witness two potential comeback stories in Arizona: Nate Robertson, who is remaking himself as a sidearmer after so much time away, and Scott Kazmir, who is trying to come back from friggin’ oblivion. Both looked good when I saw them. Robertson was downright inspirational when I talked to him.  But part of me — the very pessimistic part of me that I wish wasn’t there sometimes — keeps saying “everything seems great the first week of March, don’t get your hopes up.”  There are stories about guys on these sorts of comebacks every year. I always want them to work. Sometimes they do. I hope these two do.

4. It’s spring training for fans anticipating home runs, too.

I think every single fly ball I saw in Arizona was met by a host of fans going “whooo!” or making some other noise that suggested they thought it was a home run when, most of the time, it was a mid-range fly ball. People in Arizona are dedicated fans to be sure. But they’re not necessarily as informed and savvy as the folks back home. Well, this guy was, but he was a wonderful exception.

5. The World Baseball Classic is a lot of fun if you’re actually at the games.

source: Getty ImagesI saw two WBC games on Friday: Canada vs. Italy and Mexico vs. USA. The former featured a near empty Chase Field, the latter a nearly full Chase Field with a raucous and crazy crowd. The former was a mercy rule game, with Canada getting its clock cleaned, the latter a closer game for a while at least, but not really a barn burner. Though it wasn’t the best baseball ever and though I have been generally lukewarm about the WBC, the games were better than all of the spring training games by a longshot because there was a greater intensity about them and a clear sense that, yes, the players cared if they won.  That doesn’t mean the WBC is great, but it does suggest that the whole “the games are too early and should be moved to a different part of the year” criticism isn’t necessarily the best one. Good baseball can be played in March. Oh, and if you play your cards right you can get yourself on national television, looking silly, while at one of the game.

6. It’s way more interesting to talk to baseball players about non-baseball things.

I interviewed more players this year than I ever have. And though I’m still a total novice at the clubhouse beat compared to just about every reporter out there, I’ve realized that for the most part I am not all that interested in talking to ballplayers about baseball. OK, that’s an exaggeration. Talking specifically about their craft and their career arcs and things are interesting, but (a) “how ya feeling after today’s start;” (b) “tell us about the pitch from Shlabotnik in the fifth; and (c) “how do you think the ballclub is going to do this year” jive is boring.  I want to hear more about Corey Hart and Batman, thanks. Or ballplayers’ other random interests. Or stuff from the periphery of the game. The on-the-field action almost always speaks so much better for itself than someone involved in it does two hours after the fact.

7. Spring training parks are weird.

This kind of speaks for itself. They all have their own little quirks. Except the music. They all play terrible, terrible pregame music.

8. A lot more adult fans bring gloves to the game than I thought.

I highlighted one leather-toting grownup in Scottsdale and many of you crawled out of the woodwork to tell me that you still bring gloves to games. I had no idea. I feel like this changes our relationship.

9. Diversity in baseball is not merely a black and white issue.

Early in my trip I visited the Giants, who have no U.S.-born black players on their roster. Which is odd. But which is not, contrary to what so many people like to say, indicative of a problem. Baseball may not look like it once did, but it is unquestionably more diverse than ever.

10. Everything is wonderful and everyone is happy and this will remain the case until about April 5th or so.

I guess the biggest takeaway from spring training is that there isn’t really a ton to take away. At least not early. Every team and every player, no matter how bad they were last year, thinks they’re looking good now. Every team and every player expects to remain healthy and for best case scenarios to reign supreme.  I’m sure there is some realism behind closed doors, and I suppose it’s a particular joy of baseball to have optimism return every spring. Renewal. The Song of the Turtle. All that jazz.  But logic and history tell us that half of these teams are gonna be terrible, a lot of these optimistic players will struggle and that no battle plan in recorded history has ever survived much beyond contact with the enemy.

That contact begins on the evening of March 31 for two teams and in the next couple of days after that for everyone else.  The results of that and the changes and adjusts made in response thereto are what’s going to matter. Almost nothing that happened in the Greater Phoenix Arizona area in the first couple of weeks of March will.

Latest Posts
  1. Blue Jays place Jose Reyes on disabled list with cracked rib

Apr 28, 2015, 12:17 AM EDT

Toronto Blue Jays v New York Yankees Getty Images

Jose Reyes has been trying to play through a small crack in his left rib, but he’ll now get an extended absence.

2. VIDEO: Daniel Murphy hits go-ahead three-run homer as Mets stun Marlins

Apr 27, 2015, 11:01 PM EDT

Daniel Murphy, Lucas Duda AP

The Mets are now 15-5 on the young season and already hold an eight-game lead over the Nationals in the National League East.

3. Anthony Rendon scratched from rehab game due to fatigue

Apr 27, 2015, 10:03 PM EDT

anthony rendon getty Getty Images

The Nationals mapped out a plan that could have had Rendon make his season debut as soon as Thursday against the Mets, but that’s on hold for now.

4. Report: Marlins talking to five teams about a trade involving Jarrod Saltalamacchia

Apr 27, 2015, 9:04 PM EDT

Miami Marlins v New York Mets Getty Images

The Diamondbacks are reportedly among the potential landing spots for Saltalamacchia.

5. Homer Bailey headed to DL with right elbow ligament sprain

Apr 27, 2015, 8:10 PM EDT

cD05ODdlNmNhY2MwMjRlZWQzNTJhM2ViYTQ1Y2VlY2YzOCZnPTk2MDdiZDc5ZmVlNDdhZTEwZDA0NTU3OTdkODA1ZTAw Getty Images

Bailey is coming off flexor tendon surgery. Could Tommy John surgery be next?

6. Brandon McCarthy diagnosed with torn ulnar collateral ligament

Apr 27, 2015, 7:24 PM EDT

brandon mccarthy getty Getty Images

McCarthy appears headed for season-ending Tommy John surgery.

7. Rockies place closer Adam Ottavino on disabled list with triceps inflammation

Apr 27, 2015, 7:20 PM EDT

Adam Ottavino Adam Ottavino

Adam Ottavino was just named as the Rockies closer two weeks ago, but now he’s headed to the disabled list with right triceps inflammation.

8. Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore

Apr 27, 2015, 6:41 PM EDT

ALCS - Kansas City Royals v Baltimore Orioles - Game One Getty Images

Protests and violence continue in Baltimore after the recent death of 25-year-old Freddie Gray.

9. Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles

Apr 27, 2015, 6:09 PM EDT

adam wainwirght getty Getty Images

Wainwright will undergo season-ending surgery this week.

10. Nationals announce injured Max Scherzer will not make his next scheduled start

Apr 27, 2015, 5:40 PM EDT

Max Scherzer AP

Scherzer is in the first season of a seven-year, $210 million contract and has pitched very well through four starts with a 1.26 ERA and 29/4 K/BB ratio in 29 innings.

11. Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas

Apr 27, 2015, 4:56 PM EDT

hamilton getty Getty Images

Hamilton had a full no-trade clause with the Angels. And he exercised it in an effort to get back to the Rangers.

12. Did the Angels shoot themselves in the foot in the Josh Hamilton situation?

Apr 27, 2015, 4:25 PM EDT

Jerry Dipoto, Arte Moreno AP

Pro tip: when you’re trying to sell something, don’t tell all of your potential customers how crappy the thing is and how desperate you are to be rid of it.

13. Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations

Apr 27, 2015, 4:04 PM EDT

Josh Hamilton AP

This trade rids the Angels of Josh Hamilton, Josh Hamilton of the Angels and give the Rangers a pretty big bargain. Win-win-win?

14. Marlins drop Jarrod Saltalamacchia just 16 months after giving him $21 million

Apr 27, 2015, 3:31 PM EDT

Jarrod Saltalamacchia AP

Saltalamacchia is owed $7 million this season and $8 million next season.

15. Reminder: the reason the DH isn’t universal is because the Phillies screwed up the vote

Apr 27, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT

phillies logo

As usual, the Phillies are why we can’t have nice things.

16. Rays will be without injured John Jaso until at least June

Apr 27, 2015, 2:35 PM EDT

Orioles Rays Spring Baseball AP

Jaso injured his wrist sliding into third base on Opening Day.

17. On the move again: Dodgers trade Xavier Cedeno to Rays

Apr 27, 2015, 1:22 PM EDT

Xavier Cedeno Nationals AP

He was traded from the Nationals to the Dodgers just last week.

18. Orioles COO John Angelos puts baseball, civil rights and protests in perspective

Apr 27, 2015, 1:08 PM EDT

John Angelos

Powerful words from the Orioles’ executive in the wake of the death of Freddie Gray.

19. Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd

Apr 27, 2015, 12:32 PM EDT

Edgar Martinez

Some people are really committed. Others are so committed, maybe they should be committed.

1. Y. Puig (2669)