Vin Scully called Game 7 of the World Series and then went on a date with “Sesame Street” creator

Mar 11, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT

Vin Scully AP

Vin Scully is set to begin his 64th season announcing Dodgers games and the greatest broadcaster in baseball history shared a lot of great stuff during an interview with Lyle Spencer of MLB.com.

My favorite part, which Jon Weisman of the must-read Dodger Thoughts alerted me to, is that on the night the Dodgers won Game 7 of the World Series in 1955 a then 28-year-old Scully’s postgame plans involved going out on a date:

I had a date, and I left the group to get my car and go pick her up. We drove over to Brooklyn for the party at the Bossert Hotel. It was like V-J Day and V-E Day rolled into one when we came out of the tunnel. There were thousands of people on the sidewalks leading to the hotel. There were policemen, and parking attendants who took your car about a block from the hotel. Walking down that street to the hotel, that was an unforgettable scene.

Her name was Joan Ganz. She was from Arizona. I’m pretty sure she later became the creator of “Sesame Street.” You can check on that. We liked each other and stayed in touch, but it never got serious. I haven’t told this story, but what the heck. That was a long time ago.

First of all, as you’d expect Scully’s memory is spot on. Joan Ganz (who later became Joan Ganz Cooney) created “Sesame Street.” She also was inducted into the National Women’s Hall of Fame and the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences Hall of Fame. Oh, and she won a Presidential Medal of Freedom too. She’s probably one of the most influential people in television history.

Imagine how many incredible stories Vin Scully has that makes “I once dated the woman who created ‘Sesame Street’ after calling Game 7 of the 1955 World Series” not even worth telling for 58 years.

“I haven’t told this story, but what the heck.”

1. easyisle - Mar 11, 2013 at 12:26 PM

If the date was with Jim Henson – now you’ve got yourself a story…

2. Chris Fiorentino - Mar 11, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Great stuff. I think it’s amazing that he was actually broadcasting Dodgers games when they were still in Brooklyn over 58 years ago, 6 full years before they moved. He has basically broadcast the entire history of the LA Dodgers from their inception.

Oh, and one of the hottest female TV characters ever was named after him too.

3. unclemosesgreen - Mar 11, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Great idea for a new short fiction series: Greatest Vin Scully Stories Never Told.

Like the time after the last game of the 1988 World Series, when he went to visit his temporarily estranged wife at the Nakatomi Building and this sleazeball master thief named Hans Gruber took control of the building…..

• psousa1 - Mar 11, 2013 at 3:04 PM

I can hear him in his Vin Scully voice “If you’re in the area stop by the ballpark and yippy ki yay motherbleeper”

4. mybrunoblog - Mar 11, 2013 at 12:46 PM

When I saw this headline my mind started winding through a bunch of old peoples jokes and then I caught myself.
    I remembered the two absolutes in life. Nobody puts baby in a corner and never, ever, try and mock Vin Scully.

5. eshine76 - Mar 11, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Dos Equis should do a commercial for this. Hell, they could do a lot of commercials with Vin Scully stories and Mr. Scully as the Most Interesting Man in the World.

• kopy - Mar 11, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Vin Scully has been the life of every party I’ve thrown, even though he’s never attended them in any way.

P.S. Why do we “throw” parties? Strange verb choice.

6. elmo - Mar 11, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Its hard to believe there’s still stories that Vin hasn’t told, particularly about so storied a season as 1955. The old timer’s still got a few surprises left, that’s for sure.

7. thesmedman - Mar 11, 2013 at 2:14 PM

why is this news? or even worth commenting on?

• nothanksimdriving123 - Mar 11, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Someone needs to go back to kindergarten and start over, and pay attention this time!

8. jwbiii - Mar 11, 2013 at 2:16 PM

I met the Petersons at a party many moons ago. I had no idea who she was.

9. coryfor3 - Mar 11, 2013 at 3:04 PM

I know Vin leads a bit more notable life in some ways but essentially this story boils down to this-
    Vin went to work and then had a date afterwards. Meh.

• dcarroll73 - Mar 11, 2013 at 9:37 PM

MEH?!? He “went to work” (to call game 7 of the series – something way cooler than your best day ever) and he “had a date” (who just happened to be a creator of one to the works that improved the lifes of millions of kids.) Are you serious?

10. moogro - Mar 12, 2013 at 2:26 AM

He’s not going to be with us for very long. As for me, I’d be OK if there was constant Vin Scully articles. Also: I’d love to hear him call the playoffs or the series one more time.

Three legends off to Cooperstown