Mar 11, 2013, 11:58 PM EST
According to Steve Gilbert of MLB.com, Wade Miley has been scratched from Tuesday’s scheduled Cactus League start due to some discomfort in his left biceps muscle. It’s not believed to be serious, as Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson referred to it as a “dead arm” situation.
Miley acknowledged that he has pitched through a dead arm during the season before, but he’s not going to take any chances with still three weeks left in spring training. If all goes according to plan, he’ll only miss one start.
“We’re just going to strengthen it back up and go from there,” Miley said. “It’s nothing serious, just a little tight and the ball isn’t coming out the way I want it to, like a little dead arm a little bit, a little tired, I guess.”
Miley, 26, posted a 3.33 ERA and 144/37 K/BB ratio over 194 2/3 innings last season and finished as a close runner-up to Bryce Harper for the National League Rookie of the Year Award. If healthy, he’s expected to start the third game of the season on April 3 against the Cardinals.
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 19
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 62
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)