Mar 12, 2013, 2:50 PM EST
Ned Yost isn’t the only one taking spring training way too seriously.
In a burst of rage that made the crowd gasp Monday at Surprise Stadium, Torres snapped a bat over his knee after striking out with the bases loaded in the fourth inning of the Giants’ 2-1 victory over Texas. …
It was an extreme act for a player, especially in a spring training game that counts for nothing. It was especially out of character for Torres, the 2010 Willie Mac Award winner, who is so genial that he makes Mr. Rogers look like a brooding malcontent.
Not only was it a spring training game, it was the fourth inning of a spring training game.
Baggarly notes that Torres is frustrated by having to miss time with an oblique injury and explained afterward: “Everybody gets mad, you know?”
True enough. I’m thinking of smashing my laptop over my head after writing this post, actually.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)