Mar 12, 2013, 2:50 PM EDT
Ned Yost isn’t the only one taking spring training way too seriously.
In a burst of rage that made the crowd gasp Monday at Surprise Stadium, Torres snapped a bat over his knee after striking out with the bases loaded in the fourth inning of the Giants’ 2-1 victory over Texas. …
It was an extreme act for a player, especially in a spring training game that counts for nothing. It was especially out of character for Torres, the 2010 Willie Mac Award winner, who is so genial that he makes Mr. Rogers look like a brooding malcontent.
Not only was it a spring training game, it was the fourth inning of a spring training game.
Baggarly notes that Torres is frustrated by having to miss time with an oblique injury and explained afterward: “Everybody gets mad, you know?”
True enough. I’m thinking of smashing my laptop over my head after writing this post, actually.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (124)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (117)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (82)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?