Mar 12, 2013, 2:50 PM EST
Ned Yost isn’t the only one taking spring training way too seriously.
In a burst of rage that made the crowd gasp Monday at Surprise Stadium, Torres snapped a bat over his knee after striking out with the bases loaded in the fourth inning of the Giants’ 2-1 victory over Texas. …
It was an extreme act for a player, especially in a spring training game that counts for nothing. It was especially out of character for Torres, the 2010 Willie Mac Award winner, who is so genial that he makes Mr. Rogers look like a brooding malcontent.
Not only was it a spring training game, it was the fourth inning of a spring training game.
Baggarly notes that Torres is frustrated by having to miss time with an oblique injury and explained afterward: “Everybody gets mad, you know?”
True enough. I’m thinking of smashing my laptop over my head after writing this post, actually.
- Cliff Pennington avoids arbitration, agrees to $3.275 million deal with D’Backs 0
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 26
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 44
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40