Mar 12, 2013, 2:50 PM EST
Ned Yost isn’t the only one taking spring training way too seriously.
In a burst of rage that made the crowd gasp Monday at Surprise Stadium, Torres snapped a bat over his knee after striking out with the bases loaded in the fourth inning of the Giants’ 2-1 victory over Texas. …
It was an extreme act for a player, especially in a spring training game that counts for nothing. It was especially out of character for Torres, the 2010 Willie Mac Award winner, who is so genial that he makes Mr. Rogers look like a brooding malcontent.
Not only was it a spring training game, it was the fourth inning of a spring training game.
Baggarly notes that Torres is frustrated by having to miss time with an oblique injury and explained afterward: “Everybody gets mad, you know?”
True enough. I’m thinking of smashing my laptop over my head after writing this post, actually.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (135)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)