Mar 12, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
This offseason HardballTalk had several posts wondering why, exactly, the Diamondbacks seemed to be collecting light-hitting utility infielders. It turns out maybe they didn’t know why either.
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that Arizona is now “looking to trade” John McDonald because he’s behind Willie Bloomquist and Cliff Pennington on the depth chart. And that’s not even counting Didi Gregerius, the shortstop prospect acquired in the Trevor Bauer deal who could be starting for the Diamondbacks at some point this season.
McDonald is owed $1.5 million this season and at age 38 it’s no longer clear if his defense can make up for his awful offense. He hit .249 with a .681 OPS last season and that’s actually 73 points higher than his lifetime OPS and the second-best mark of his career.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 4
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 20
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 38
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)