Mar 12, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
This offseason HardballTalk had several posts wondering why, exactly, the Diamondbacks seemed to be collecting light-hitting utility infielders. It turns out maybe they didn’t know why either.
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that Arizona is now “looking to trade” John McDonald because he’s behind Willie Bloomquist and Cliff Pennington on the depth chart. And that’s not even counting Didi Gregerius, the shortstop prospect acquired in the Trevor Bauer deal who could be starting for the Diamondbacks at some point this season.
McDonald is owed $1.5 million this season and at age 38 it’s no longer clear if his defense can make up for his awful offense. He hit .249 with a .681 OPS last season and that’s actually 73 points higher than his lifetime OPS and the second-best mark of his career.
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 27
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 57
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 32
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)