Mar 12, 2013, 3:15 PM EST
This offseason HardballTalk had several posts wondering why, exactly, the Diamondbacks seemed to be collecting light-hitting utility infielders. It turns out maybe they didn’t know why either.
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that Arizona is now “looking to trade” John McDonald because he’s behind Willie Bloomquist and Cliff Pennington on the depth chart. And that’s not even counting Didi Gregerius, the shortstop prospect acquired in the Trevor Bauer deal who could be starting for the Diamondbacks at some point this season.
McDonald is owed $1.5 million this season and at age 38 it’s no longer clear if his defense can make up for his awful offense. He hit .249 with a .681 OPS last season and that’s actually 73 points higher than his lifetime OPS and the second-best mark of his career.
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 4
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 28
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 155
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 42
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 17
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (91)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (79)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (79)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (69)