Mar 12, 2013, 8:51 AM EDT
We’ve noted in the past that whenever a Yankees’ columnist is hurting for material that the easiest move is to simply observe what’s happening with the Yankees, pretend that George Steinbrenner is still alive and then say “The Boss would hate this!” or “The Boss would love this!” or “Oh my gosh, what would The Boss think if he could see this?!”
The latest entry in this genre: Joel Sherman, who takes a look at yesterday’s “Brian Cashman would like to sign Chipper Jones” thing and grafts The Boss onto it. And he gets a double out of it: both “The Boss would love this” and “The Boss would hate this”
The Boss would have loved it all, the outside-the-box approach and the star chase. But he certainly would not have Jonesed for the reasons why.
Whatever. I’m just wondering how long Steinbrenner will have to be dead before people stop viewing all Yankees’ news through the filter of his memory. My current estimate: a gabillion years.
In other Chipper/Yankees news, Jones got 4,000 new Twitter followers yesterday simply because of some offhand comments by Brian Cashman. And he’s so thrilled with it that he’s publicly asking his friend David Ross to start up some Chipper-to-the-Red Sox rumors to keep the momentum going.
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 4
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 21
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 18
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 9
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)