Mar 12, 2013, 8:51 AM EDT
We’ve noted in the past that whenever a Yankees’ columnist is hurting for material that the easiest move is to simply observe what’s happening with the Yankees, pretend that George Steinbrenner is still alive and then say “The Boss would hate this!” or “The Boss would love this!” or “Oh my gosh, what would The Boss think if he could see this?!”
The latest entry in this genre: Joel Sherman, who takes a look at yesterday’s “Brian Cashman would like to sign Chipper Jones” thing and grafts The Boss onto it. And he gets a double out of it: both “The Boss would love this” and “The Boss would hate this”
The Boss would have loved it all, the outside-the-box approach and the star chase. But he certainly would not have Jonesed for the reasons why.
Whatever. I’m just wondering how long Steinbrenner will have to be dead before people stop viewing all Yankees’ news through the filter of his memory. My current estimate: a gabillion years.
In other Chipper/Yankees news, Jones got 4,000 new Twitter followers yesterday simply because of some offhand comments by Brian Cashman. And he’s so thrilled with it that he’s publicly asking his friend David Ross to start up some Chipper-to-the-Red Sox rumors to keep the momentum going.
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 0
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 14
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 11
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 37
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 181
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 38
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (181)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)