Mar 12, 2013, 8:51 AM EST
We’ve noted in the past that whenever a Yankees’ columnist is hurting for material that the easiest move is to simply observe what’s happening with the Yankees, pretend that George Steinbrenner is still alive and then say “The Boss would hate this!” or “The Boss would love this!” or “Oh my gosh, what would The Boss think if he could see this?!”
The latest entry in this genre: Joel Sherman, who takes a look at yesterday’s “Brian Cashman would like to sign Chipper Jones” thing and grafts The Boss onto it. And he gets a double out of it: both “The Boss would love this” and “The Boss would hate this”
The Boss would have loved it all, the outside-the-box approach and the star chase. But he certainly would not have Jonesed for the reasons why.
Whatever. I’m just wondering how long Steinbrenner will have to be dead before people stop viewing all Yankees’ news through the filter of his memory. My current estimate: a gabillion years.
In other Chipper/Yankees news, Jones got 4,000 new Twitter followers yesterday simply because of some offhand comments by Brian Cashman. And he’s so thrilled with it that he’s publicly asking his friend David Ross to start up some Chipper-to-the-Red Sox rumors to keep the momentum going.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)