Mar 12, 2013, 8:51 AM EDT
We’ve noted in the past that whenever a Yankees’ columnist is hurting for material that the easiest move is to simply observe what’s happening with the Yankees, pretend that George Steinbrenner is still alive and then say “The Boss would hate this!” or “The Boss would love this!” or “Oh my gosh, what would The Boss think if he could see this?!”
The latest entry in this genre: Joel Sherman, who takes a look at yesterday’s “Brian Cashman would like to sign Chipper Jones” thing and grafts The Boss onto it. And he gets a double out of it: both “The Boss would love this” and “The Boss would hate this”
The Boss would have loved it all, the outside-the-box approach and the star chase. But he certainly would not have Jonesed for the reasons why.
Whatever. I’m just wondering how long Steinbrenner will have to be dead before people stop viewing all Yankees’ news through the filter of his memory. My current estimate: a gabillion years.
In other Chipper/Yankees news, Jones got 4,000 new Twitter followers yesterday simply because of some offhand comments by Brian Cashman. And he’s so thrilled with it that he’s publicly asking his friend David Ross to start up some Chipper-to-the-Red Sox rumors to keep the momentum going.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (247)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (156)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)