Jordany Valdespin wasn’t wearing a cup when he was hit … there yesterday

Mar 12, 2013, 6:18 AM EDT

Jordany Valdespin

If you’re surprised or disappointed that I’ve managed to squeeze three posts out of a guy getting hit in the do-re-mi with a Justin Verlander fastball, well, you’re just not familiar with my work. But really, this needs to be highlighted:

The Mets utilityman exited yesterday’s exhibition game against the Tigers after he was hit in the genitals with a Justin Verlander 94-mph fastball, and left club officials shaking their heads by revealing he wasn’t wearing a protective cup.

“You would think if you are starting at second base, you would be smart enough to wear a cup,” manager Terry Collins fumed to The Post after the Mets’ 11-0 victory at Joker Marchant Stadium.

Man. I felt like I should have been wearing a cup at a couple of spring training games last week I was so close to the action. If I was playing in the infield I’d probably want a suit of armor.

Anyway, I’m still a bit surprised that most of the responses to this are about the cup and about Valdespin’s postgame comments. Isn’t the important lesson here that Jordany Valdespin‘s junk must be made of Kevlar for him to walk away from this incident unscathed?

1. proudlycanadian - Mar 12, 2013 at 6:34 AM

Was he breaking one of the unwritten rules of baseball when (a) he tried to bunt and (b) when he did not wear a cup?

• Old Gator - Mar 12, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Was it Yogi who described that as “a cross between the fear of death and the fear of not dying”? I’d love to chase down the originator of that poignantly perspicacious comment.

2. vallewho - Mar 12, 2013 at 6:47 AM

Pendejo

• Old Gator - Mar 12, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Pendewho

3. magicrat13 - Mar 12, 2013 at 6:58 AM

ouch..hit right in the r.a. dickey…

• rocketsteadman - Mar 12, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Better than getting doug Fister-ed…

4. woodenulykteneau - Mar 12, 2013 at 6:58 AM

The last time I heard about a ballplayer doing something this stupid, he ended up having to have a unilateral orchiectomy.

• jiminthebay - Mar 12, 2013 at 12:38 PM

1 strike , no balls

5. mrfloydpink - Mar 12, 2013 at 7:03 AM

Bill Dwyre is disdainful of all this testicle-protection gobbledygook…

6. yankschase28 - Mar 12, 2013 at 7:09 AM

How did he walk off the field after that?

7. brewcrewfan54 - Mar 12, 2013 at 7:16 AM

That picture is all kinds of fantastic!

8. multiplemiggs - Mar 12, 2013 at 7:17 AM

He gets hit in the dick with a verlander 94mph fastball without a cup…and survives. Stay thirsty my friends.

9. philliesblow - Mar 12, 2013 at 7:56 AM

Not unusual for athletes to eschew protection for their member, although it normally involves a disdain for raincoats.

• Old Gator - Mar 12, 2013 at 10:37 AM

And wives.

10. townballblog - Mar 12, 2013 at 8:11 AM

Why Jordany?….why!?!?

> >

11. genericcommenter - Mar 12, 2013 at 8:22 AM

When I started playing Little League, cups were required by all players. I think it was in the (written) rules, and the coach made a point to mention it at practice.

My son started playing T-ball 7-8 years ago and has moved up the levels since then. Cups have never been mentioned, except for catchers. My son plays catcher, so he does wear one. No one else on his teams has worn one, and his was looked at as a curiosity.

So oddly, this is one of my “back in my day…” things.

• mscxvd - Mar 12, 2013 at 11:51 AM

when i was in little league 10 yrs ago we were required to wear cups, I’m dissapointed to find out they don’t make you wear cups that often anymore…

• jiminthebay - Mar 12, 2013 at 12:41 PM

our high school coach joked around with the old back-of-the-hand ” cup check “… he listened to judy garland a lot , too.

12. historiophiliac - Mar 12, 2013 at 8:29 AM

“Next one, he totally squared at me. Right out of the hand it’s, ‘Oh, shit. That is right at his balls.'”

“Rhythm was off. That led to everything. Fastball control was not good. Change up was bad. Slider was bad. Breaking ball was alright.

— Verlander

13. romoscollarbone - Mar 12, 2013 at 8:40 AM

anytime someone gets hit in the junk non-athletes come out of the woodwork talking about cups. I guarentee not a single non-catcher In MLB and the minors wears a cup.

• Alex K - Mar 12, 2013 at 8:53 AM

I remember Beltre wasn’t wearing a cup a few years ago when he took one playing third. I bet he wears a cup…

• jiminthebay - Mar 12, 2013 at 12:42 PM

you’d lose so big time

14. wmg8383 - Mar 12, 2013 at 9:21 AM

This is not surprising at all. I think most people would be shocked by how few baseball players wear cups, especially pitchers. Even though they’re only 60′ 6″ away, I bet that less than half of them wear a cup, and they do it for comfort reasons. It’s just not comfortable to raise your leg up with a big piece of plastic between your thighs. That being said, for a 3B, SS or 2B to not wear a cup is pretty foolish.

15. earpaniac - Mar 12, 2013 at 9:39 AM

I only forgot to wear my cup one time. Of course I had to play catcher that day. My 11 yr old self caught one of the edge of home plate. I thought it was broken and would never have children.

16. carbydrash - Mar 12, 2013 at 10:14 AM

“‘You would think if you are starting at second base, you would be smart enough to wear a cup,’ manager Terry Collins fumed to The Post”

In summary, Terry Collins is kind of an asshole. Come on, the guy got cuplessly hit in the junk. I’m sure he fully realizes it was a mistake. No need to pile on.

• jeffbbf - Mar 12, 2013 at 10:55 AM

I think asshole is a little harsh. Is Collins not allowed to be frustrated by the fact that a player trying to make his roster gets hurt because of something so stupid? He was asked a question. He answered it. Seemed like a pretty tame answer, given the circumstances.

We had a 17 year old kid in our local league hit by a pitch in the junk while not wearing a cup. I talked to his dad. He took him home to ice the injury, but an hour later, blood had pooled to the point where his ball had swollen to the size of a lemon. They took him to the emergency room and they could do nothing for him at that point. Hit and miss for 24 hours, waiting to see if it would survive. Luckily, it did.

Wear a cup.

• stlouis1baseball - Mar 12, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Terry Collins is well within his rights to call him out for it.
      In fact…
      If I were Terry Collins he would be getting not so subtle reminders about it throughout the entire year.
      No excuse whatsoever. He deserves being chastized for this the entire year.

On a side note:
      I went to high school with a kid who was playing drums on his thighs (while sitting down)…with rolled up (and taped) newspapers. Dude miss hit and smacked himself in the nuts.
      They had to remove one of them. Fortunately, he was still able to have kids.
      To this day (20+ years later)…we refer to him as “Johnny One Nut.”

17. jm91rs - Mar 12, 2013 at 10:27 AM

We aren’t getting to the real point here. He said he got hit in the dick (sorry for the blunt language but thats how he put it). I’d imagine it’s possible that he didn’t actually get hit in the nards. While I’m sure neither would feel good, one would most definitely hurt more than the other.

• jm91rs - Mar 12, 2013 at 10:28 AM

I need to clarify that I’m not belittling the man’s pain. I personally would cry like a little girl if I get hit anywhere by a Justin Verlander fastball.

• mscxvd - Mar 12, 2013 at 11:55 AM

I was thinking the same thing. with how baggy some players wear their pants its possible that it was more or less grazed. which if done by a verlander fastball would still hurt like hell

18. eshine76 - Mar 12, 2013 at 11:17 AM

On MLB radio a few months back Todd Hollandsworth (I believe) was talking about not wearing a cup. He said that many guys didn’t because there are a number of times that the cup pinches you down there. Rather than getting pinched regularly, they just risked it because actually taking a ball in the junk rarely happened, if at all.

• jiminthebay - Mar 12, 2013 at 12:46 PM

dunno , compression shorts obviated wearing a jock strap, holding the beanie closer to the weinie. at least i never got my ” foot stuck in the door”

19. Jonny 5 - Mar 12, 2013 at 12:36 PM

I was hit in the boys by an 11 year old pitching and I almost threw up. I couldn’t walk for awhile either. I would have cried had I not been surrounded by people too. HE WAS NO JUSTIN VERLANDER EITHER!

20. Walk - Mar 12, 2013 at 2:41 PM

I can tell you from my experience in college ball it was mostly infielders who wore a cup regurarly, oh and one left fielder i knew after a certain one hopper in left. A lot took them out when running bases and batting as well. College was as far as i ever got i am not sure what the mandates and practices of levels beyond that.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3621)