Mar 12, 2013, 6:18 AM EDT
If you’re surprised or disappointed that I’ve managed to squeeze three posts out of a guy getting hit in the do-re-mi with a Justin Verlander fastball, well, you’re just not familiar with my work. But really, this needs to be highlighted:
The Mets utilityman exited yesterday’s exhibition game against the Tigers after he was hit in the genitals with a Justin Verlander 94-mph fastball, and left club officials shaking their heads by revealing he wasn’t wearing a protective cup.
“You would think if you are starting at second base, you would be smart enough to wear a cup,” manager Terry Collins fumed to The Post after the Mets’ 11-0 victory at Joker Marchant Stadium.
Man. I felt like I should have been wearing a cup at a couple of spring training games last week I was so close to the action. If I was playing in the infield I’d probably want a suit of armor.
Anyway, I’m still a bit surprised that most of the responses to this are about the cup and about Valdespin’s postgame comments. Isn’t the important lesson here that Jordany Valdespin‘s junk must be made of Kevlar for him to walk away from this incident unscathed?
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract 153
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (124)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)