Mar 12, 2013, 6:18 AM EDT
If you’re surprised or disappointed that I’ve managed to squeeze three posts out of a guy getting hit in the do-re-mi with a Justin Verlander fastball, well, you’re just not familiar with my work. But really, this needs to be highlighted:
The Mets utilityman exited yesterday’s exhibition game against the Tigers after he was hit in the genitals with a Justin Verlander 94-mph fastball, and left club officials shaking their heads by revealing he wasn’t wearing a protective cup.
“You would think if you are starting at second base, you would be smart enough to wear a cup,” manager Terry Collins fumed to The Post after the Mets’ 11-0 victory at Joker Marchant Stadium.
Man. I felt like I should have been wearing a cup at a couple of spring training games last week I was so close to the action. If I was playing in the infield I’d probably want a suit of armor.
Anyway, I’m still a bit surprised that most of the responses to this are about the cup and about Valdespin’s postgame comments. Isn’t the important lesson here that Jordany Valdespin‘s junk must be made of Kevlar for him to walk away from this incident unscathed?
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 16
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 40
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 16
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 47
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 73
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)