Mar 12, 2013, 6:18 AM EST
If you’re surprised or disappointed that I’ve managed to squeeze three posts out of a guy getting hit in the do-re-mi with a Justin Verlander fastball, well, you’re just not familiar with my work. But really, this needs to be highlighted:
The Mets utilityman exited yesterday’s exhibition game against the Tigers after he was hit in the genitals with a Justin Verlander 94-mph fastball, and left club officials shaking their heads by revealing he wasn’t wearing a protective cup.
“You would think if you are starting at second base, you would be smart enough to wear a cup,” manager Terry Collins fumed to The Post after the Mets’ 11-0 victory at Joker Marchant Stadium.
Man. I felt like I should have been wearing a cup at a couple of spring training games last week I was so close to the action. If I was playing in the infield I’d probably want a suit of armor.
Anyway, I’m still a bit surprised that most of the responses to this are about the cup and about Valdespin’s postgame comments. Isn’t the important lesson here that Jordany Valdespin‘s junk must be made of Kevlar for him to walk away from this incident unscathed?
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 0
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 54
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27