Mar 12, 2013, 6:18 AM EDT
If you’re surprised or disappointed that I’ve managed to squeeze three posts out of a guy getting hit in the do-re-mi with a Justin Verlander fastball, well, you’re just not familiar with my work. But really, this needs to be highlighted:
The Mets utilityman exited yesterday’s exhibition game against the Tigers after he was hit in the genitals with a Justin Verlander 94-mph fastball, and left club officials shaking their heads by revealing he wasn’t wearing a protective cup.
“You would think if you are starting at second base, you would be smart enough to wear a cup,” manager Terry Collins fumed to The Post after the Mets’ 11-0 victory at Joker Marchant Stadium.
Man. I felt like I should have been wearing a cup at a couple of spring training games last week I was so close to the action. If I was playing in the infield I’d probably want a suit of armor.
Anyway, I’m still a bit surprised that most of the responses to this are about the cup and about Valdespin’s postgame comments. Isn’t the important lesson here that Jordany Valdespin‘s junk must be made of Kevlar for him to walk away from this incident unscathed?
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 0
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 86
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 37
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 43
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 16
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The Royals asked a fan in Marlins gear to change his shirt last night. He refused. (86)