Manny Ramirez will make $25,000 per month in Taiwan

Mar 12, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT

Manny Ramirez AP

Manny Ramirez‘s contract with the EDA Rhinos of the Chinese Professional Baseball League will pay him $25,000 per month from March to November.

By comparison, the minimum salary in MLB pays approximately $85,000 per month and during his prime Ramirez was paid more than $3 million per month by the Red Sox and Dodgers.

But after sitting out nearly all of last season the 40-year-old doesn’t seem very bothered by the cut in salary: “I don’t think about the money and contract. I just think it is a great opportunity for me and the fans.”

And then there’s this note, from the Associated Press:

Taiwan’s professional baseball league consists of only four teams, having been whittled down from a high of nine in 2008, amid a series of bribery and game-fixing scandals.

And yet that league represents Ramirez’s best opportunity to continue being paid to play baseball.

1. number1tribefan - Mar 12, 2013 at 10:30 AM

I believe he is also getting payed $12M in delayed compensation from Boston this season, plus another $2M from the Dodgers in delayed compensation this season, so nothing really to see here. Roids worked for Manny from a financial standpoint.

2. Old Gator - Mar 12, 2013 at 10:34 AM

He’s going to eat well. Fillet of northern snakehead. Steamed giant isopod with drawn butter. All kinds of great noodle dishes. Hell, you could pay me $25,000 a month and feed me like that and you wouldn’t hear any complaints.

• heyblueyoustink - Mar 12, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Or Puppy Lo Mein.

• Old Gator - Mar 12, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Nope. For good dog, you have to go to Indonesia.

3. fanofevilempire - Mar 12, 2013 at 11:18 AM

They will get their moneys worth, everybody loves Manny.

I just hope he doesn’t choke a team mate like Renaldo Blackman did.

4. pisano - Mar 12, 2013 at 12:26 PM

If I had the money I’d pay him double that to never hear his name or see his face again.

5. jwbiii - Mar 12, 2013 at 1:21 PM

A little bit of a logical error here. Comparing the Major League minimum salary to the one he will earn in Taiwan is a fallacy. He got a minor league contract last season and he was released halfway through the year, so he made about $39k. I don’t think anyone was offering an MLB deal this off season, otherwise he would have taken it.

6. sidelineshot - Mar 12, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Dudes. Manny must have at least 50 million in the bank. He’s always been a frugal guy.
    Trips to McDonalds are not rare with him.

He just wants to play ball.
    Leave the guy alone :-)

7. raysfan1 - Mar 12, 2013 at 5:29 PM

$25K a month is also 2-3x what most other players in that league make.

8. PotatoPeeler - Mar 14, 2013 at 5:16 PM

I lived in Taiwan for 3 years. I made about US$1,700 a month and lived a pretty good life. I wasn’t rich by any means but I certainly wasn’t poor. US$25,000 is definitely a lot of money in Taiwan.

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. R. Castillo (3272)