Mar 12, 2013, 11:49 AM EDT
Nick Markakis underwent an MRI exam on his injured neck yesterday and has been diagnosed with what the Orioles are calling a “small disc herniation.”
That’s another way of saying a small tear and means Markakis will be on the sidelines for at least another week and maybe two, but manager Buck Showalter told Brittany Ghiroli of MLB.com that the Orioles don’t feel his status for Opening Day is in question.
He is, however, scheduled to be examined by a spine specialist and Markakis has already missed a week with the neck injury. He was also all kinds of banged up with different health problems last season, playing just 104 games after logging at least 157 games in five straight years.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)