Mar 12, 2013, 11:49 AM EDT
Nick Markakis underwent an MRI exam on his injured neck yesterday and has been diagnosed with what the Orioles are calling a “small disc herniation.”
That’s another way of saying a small tear and means Markakis will be on the sidelines for at least another week and maybe two, but manager Buck Showalter told Brittany Ghiroli of MLB.com that the Orioles don’t feel his status for Opening Day is in question.
He is, however, scheduled to be examined by a spine specialist and Markakis has already missed a week with the neck injury. He was also all kinds of banged up with different health problems last season, playing just 104 games after logging at least 157 games in five straight years.
- Patrick Corbin diagnosed with “damage” to left UCL 38
- The Yankees were no-hit by the Marlins in Panama 35
- Report: Jose Iglesias could miss most of the 2014 season 46
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 10
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 58
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (107)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (102)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)