Mar 12, 2013, 11:49 AM EDT
Nick Markakis underwent an MRI exam on his injured neck yesterday and has been diagnosed with what the Orioles are calling a “small disc herniation.”
That’s another way of saying a small tear and means Markakis will be on the sidelines for at least another week and maybe two, but manager Buck Showalter told Brittany Ghiroli of MLB.com that the Orioles don’t feel his status for Opening Day is in question.
He is, however, scheduled to be examined by a spine specialist and Markakis has already missed a week with the neck injury. He was also all kinds of banged up with different health problems last season, playing just 104 games after logging at least 157 games in five straight years.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (111)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)