Mar 12, 2013, 1:20 PM EDT
James Shields got the Opening Day nod for the Rays last season, but Price went 20-5 with a 2.56 ERA on the way to his first Cy Young award and presumably would have gotten the call this year even if Shields hadn’t been traded to the Royals.
This will be the second Opening Day assignment for Price, who started Game 1 in 2011 and took the loss with seven innings of four-run ball against the Orioles.
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 9
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 27
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 19
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 34
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)