Mar 12, 2013, 1:20 PM EDT
James Shields got the Opening Day nod for the Rays last season, but Price went 20-5 with a 2.56 ERA on the way to his first Cy Young award and presumably would have gotten the call this year even if Shields hadn’t been traded to the Royals.
This will be the second Opening Day assignment for Price, who started Game 1 in 2011 and took the loss with seven innings of four-run ball against the Orioles.
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 1
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 43
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 16
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 25
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 30
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 18
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 84
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)