Mar 12, 2013, 5:11 PM EDT
Trying to pull off another stunner, Italy jumped out early against the Dominican Republic on Tuesday, only to see its 4-0 lead whittled away in a 5-4 loss.
After Dominican starter Edinson Volquez at one point threw 11 straight balls in the first, Alex Liddi hit a sac fly and Chris Colabello followed with a three-run homer. Volquez, though, rebounded from there, pitching into the fifth and keeping the game within reach for the powerful Dominican offense.
The key play in the game came with two on and one out in the seventh. With Reyes and Erick Aybar about and one out, Cano lofted a fly to shallow left. Left fielder Mike Costanzo froze initially and couldn’t get to it. Shortstop Anthony Granato almost grabbed it on the run, only to have it go off his glove for what was originally ruled a very tough error. It was later changed to hit.
That loaded the bases for Edwin Encarnacion, who walked. Hanley Ramirez followed with a game-tying sac fly, and Nelson Cruz delivered a broken-bat liner into shallow left for an RBI single, giving the Dominican Republic its first lead.
The Dominican Republic will now face the winner of the Team USA and Puerto Rico game for a spot in the WBC semifinals. Italy goes into the loser’s bracket in this modified double-elimination tourney.
- Joey Gallo earns Futures Game MVP honors after leading Team USA to victory 3
- Major League Baseball needs to shift the All-Star week schedule 42
- Braves suspend Dan Uggla one game for being extremely tardy on Saturday in Chicago 33
- Cliff Lee on track to return to Phillies’ rotation July 21 4
- MRI shows biceps strain, no structural damage, for Nationals starter Jordan Zimmermann 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 22
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 8
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 47
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (192)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)
- Woman knocked unconscious during fight between A’s and Giants fans outside AT&T Park (84)