Mar 12, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT
Ryan Madson threw off a mound yesterday for the first time since his comeback from Tommy John surgery was shut down on February 1 when he experienced elbow soreness.
Madson threw 20 pitches and afterward told Kevin Baxter of the Los Angeles Times that “it was just nice and easy, just to get back up on the hill.”
However, those 20 pitches were all fastballs and Madson was throwing at less than full effort, so he’s all but guaranteed to begin the season on the disabled list and the Angels figure to go with Ernesto Frieri as their Opening Day closer.
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 18
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 60
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 45
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 75
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 26
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (100)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)