Mar 13, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
Cooper ended last season on the disabled list with a back injury that has carried over to this year, taking him out of the running for a bench job.
Cooper was a first-round pick in 2008, but fell off the fast track and has spent two seasons each at Double-A and Triple-A. He’s hit .346 in 188 games at Triple-A, although Las Vegas is a very hitter-friendly environment and with just 19 homers Cooper’s lack of power makes him a tough fit as a big-league first baseman.
If healthy there’s a role for him in the majors, but he hasn’t seen game action since last August.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 53
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)