Mar 13, 2013, 11:19 AM EST
Cooper ended last season on the disabled list with a back injury that has carried over to this year, taking him out of the running for a bench job.
Cooper was a first-round pick in 2008, but fell off the fast track and has spent two seasons each at Double-A and Triple-A. He’s hit .346 in 188 games at Triple-A, although Las Vegas is a very hitter-friendly environment and with just 19 homers Cooper’s lack of power makes him a tough fit as a big-league first baseman.
If healthy there’s a role for him in the majors, but he hasn’t seen game action since last August.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 25
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 87
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 14
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 144
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)