Mar 13, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
Cooper ended last season on the disabled list with a back injury that has carried over to this year, taking him out of the running for a bench job.
Cooper was a first-round pick in 2008, but fell off the fast track and has spent two seasons each at Double-A and Triple-A. He’s hit .346 in 188 games at Triple-A, although Las Vegas is a very hitter-friendly environment and with just 19 homers Cooper’s lack of power makes him a tough fit as a big-league first baseman.
If healthy there’s a role for him in the majors, but he hasn’t seen game action since last August.
- Dustin Pedroia returns to Red Sox starting lineup 4
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 95
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 11
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 230
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (232)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (105)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)