Bo Porter could be the Astros’ manager for “decades”

Mar 13, 2013, 1:03 PM EDT

Houston Astros v Pittsburgh Pirates Getty Images

From Andy Martino, here’s Houston Astros GM Jeff Luhnow on new manager Bo Porter’s future:

“People know Bo is going to be here for a long time,” Luhnow says. “He could be one of those guys who is an Astros manager for decades, not just years. The players knowing that this is the group that’s going to be here — it begins to lay the foundation for stability, which is really what we’re looking for.”

Let’s see, the all-time leader in managerial tenure in Houston is Bill Virdon, who managed for six seasons and part of a seventh. After that you get Larry Dierker and then Harry Walker. I suppose it’s possible for there to be an extreme paradigm shift in the way teams handle the top spot, but if you go through life betting on managers lasting “decades” or even “decade” you’re only gonna find yourself a winner once or twice every couple of them, if that.

But hey: viva positive thinking.

1. jarathen - Mar 13, 2013 at 1:07 PM

I like how the Astros are thinking about long-term building of a franchise. They’re trying to create a stability that had fallen apart, and that kind of vote of confidence is part of it. What’s most important, I think, is recognizing how bad this team will be for the next couple years as talent grows up and (ideally for Houston) pans out. Don’t blame the manager; consider it part of the process. And everything I’ve seen and heard from Astros management indicates that they get that.

• unclemosesgreen - Mar 13, 2013 at 4:59 PM

For Bo Porter’s sake, I hope he’s only renting a home, not buying.

Luhnow’s hyper-enthusiastic puppy act is positively adorable. Oh look – now he’s chasing his own tail. Don’t stop little buddy, you almost had it that time!

• Pastor Lance A. Mann - Mar 18, 2013 at 1:24 PM

First of all Bo has lived in Houston for years!!! Second, knowing Bo for the better part of 25-26 years, NOBODY will outwork him! I don’t know if he will last decades, and I don’t know if Astros will win titles, but it won’t be from lack of work! I believe in Bo Porter!!!

2. jtpercell - Mar 13, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Jim Tracy knows how Bo Porter feels.

3. missthemexpos - Mar 13, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Since we are talking decades, could Bo Porter be the one to break Connie Mack’s record of a mere 5 decades of being a big league manager?

4. coryfor3 - Mar 13, 2013 at 2:10 PM

We’ll see if Porter can squeeze a winning season out of an Astros roster in any of those decades.

• jeffa43 - Mar 13, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Now that is a statement with a lot of validity behind it… not. In one year they have gone from being 29-31 rating for the worst minor league program in ball, to now they are rated #8.

Billy Beane has come forward and said they are way ahead of the game, and know exactly how to do things in Houston. (this is the same Beane who just upeded the power house Halos and Rangers to win the division)

Winning will happen sooner than you think. I imagine by 2014 they will start to turn heads, and that should be about the same time Pujols walks away due to injuries that will not heal (wonder why). The Rangers forgot who was feeding them, and the Astros will bring in Nolan soon.

2013 will be fun to watch the young kids develop, and losses are expected this year. After 2006-2012 trying to fix through free agency, it is nice to see them build within, and have plenty of money down the line when they need to add a bat or arm.

coryfor3…. fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son.

• stex52 - Mar 13, 2013 at 11:39 PM

I admire your optimism. Hope you are right.

• johnalex819 - Mar 16, 2013 at 2:15 PM

I agree with everything except the Nolan Ryan thing. Jim Crane won’t let Nolan come back to Houston.

• Old Gator - Mar 13, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Look at it this way: he also interviewed to manage the Feesh. Slobbering Ozzie took the fall instead. You don’t think he gazes out across that Astros lineup every morning and thanks Buddha for it?

5. gpatrick15 - Mar 13, 2013 at 2:19 PM

It’s all fun and games until they reach their 3rd straight 100 loss season under Porter and he’s out the door. Until their roster sees genuine growth and their farm system produces major league talent, it will continue to be rough going for the Astros.

• paperlions - Mar 13, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Yes, but Astros management KNOWS that….that is what the GM is saying….that the manager can only manage the talent he has and as long as he does a good job doing that…he’ll be around because losing games with a AAA squad isn’t the manager’s fault.

• stex52 - Mar 13, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Didn’t help Brad Mills much. But the whole exercise is absurd. Everybody knew Cecil Cooper couldn’t miss. That was a disaster. First we’ll see if Porter can handle the job. Then we’ll see if they start winning. He probably has a grace period, but we will see who gets thrown to the wolves if they aren’t better in three years. So far all we know is that Luhnow can tear things down and talk about the future. I would say five years is a very generous over/under for Porter.

• paperlions - Mar 13, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Brad Mills wasn’t fired because of anything related to team performance.

• stex52 - Mar 13, 2013 at 11:15 PM

Neither was he retained because he was given a bad team to try win with. That won’t be a deciding factor with Porter either. This is all happy talk.

6. heyblueyoustink - Mar 13, 2013 at 2:48 PM

His lawyer dropped the ball. No one deserves a sentence like that.

7. sportsdrenched - Mar 13, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Why wouldn’t there be a paradigm shift with a new owner and front office personel?

Like I’ve said on other Astros threads I’m intrigued by this team. Maybe it’s because I’m tired of watching the Royals’ process continually be a failure and I’m looking to see someone do it right.

• unclemosesgreen - Mar 13, 2013 at 4:56 PM

You mean now that the Rays have already done it, you’re looking forward to seeing if someone else can also do it?

• sportsdrenched - Mar 13, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Yes, someone else. The 2003 Tigers lost 119 games in 2003, were in the World Series THREE years later. And the Rangers, Rays, Twins, it’s been done many times. But right now it’s the Astros.

• unclemosesgreen - Mar 13, 2013 at 6:05 PM

I have been quite critical of Dayton Moore here and elsewhere, I just hope that you get another great general manager there someday.

The expansion Royals had exceptional leadership under Cedric Tallis, and were the Rays of the early 70’s. Kansas City fans deserve another great team.

8. avallstar - Mar 13, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Bo is just getting his managerial feet wet, so he can come back to Washington with some experience.

9. jwbiii - Mar 13, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Just honeymoon talk, “I’ll love you forever, Bo!”

10. texasaaa - Mar 13, 2013 at 6:47 PM

As long as he will coach for $15 an hour they will keep him. When he asks for a real salary, he’s outta there. This bunch is all about getting their on investers money back plus profit before a team. Makes me sick.
    And Paperlions… It’s a AA team not a AAA team by far.

11. texasaaa - Mar 17, 2013 at 11:51 AM

All of you kids go ahead and give me the thumbs down. I have watched this team since day one. I’ve lived a whole lifetime before the Astros got into the World Series. And you are about to experience the same thing. We’ve traded all of our players for a farm team is rated at eight. And that is just a guess. You can only pray they stay out of drugs , develop into big league players et cetera.
    I’m extremely bitter what has happened with Astros. I have the right to be. I have sunk my money and my heart into this team My whole life. You’re being fed smoke and mirrors.
    This is nothing but a money grab from the investors. They are taking care of the Investors before they are the team. In 3 to 5 years you’re not Even going to know the names of most of this number eight Farm club team.
    It’s human nature to want to believe,
    We could not have never ever gotten a worse set of owners. What Drayton did to this team In the end was a crime, But at least when he was interested in baseball he put everything He had into trying to build this team, and he did get us into the World Series, finally.
    Save this email, and after 3 to 5 years let’s talk again and see who is right.
    The only chance Astros have now are the fans. If you keep supporting the owners financially you’re supporting disaster and fraud. .
    If the fans quit giving them the money to travel around the world, they will eventually sell this team and we will get someone interested in rebuilding the Astros again. We have to make it As hard On them as they have us.
    It’s all about money, keep the money away from these owners and they will finally get someone that we can stand behind to rebuild this team.

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey