Mar 13, 2013, 3:40 PM EDT
Jason Bay is leading off for the Mariners today. It’s the second day in the row he’s done it. And Geoff Baker reports that it’s not just one of those spring training things in which a guy is at the top of the lineup in order to get a chance at an extra plate appearance. The M’s are actually considering Bay for the leadoff job.
Bay has struggled mightily the past couple of years. But really, he has shown that he knows how to take a walk in the past. And if there is no real expectation of him being a middle-of-the-order hitter again, why not see if he can’t squeeze out some walks and singles and things and contribute.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)