Mar 13, 2013, 3:40 PM EST
Jason Bay is leading off for the Mariners today. It’s the second day in the row he’s done it. And Geoff Baker reports that it’s not just one of those spring training things in which a guy is at the top of the lineup in order to get a chance at an extra plate appearance. The M’s are actually considering Bay for the leadoff job.
Bay has struggled mightily the past couple of years. But really, he has shown that he knows how to take a walk in the past. And if there is no real expectation of him being a middle-of-the-order hitter again, why not see if he can’t squeeze out some walks and singles and things and contribute.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)