Mar 13, 2013, 4:16 PM EDT
Aroldis Chapman is preparing as if he’ll move into the starting rotation this season following two-plus years in the bullpen, but the Reds still haven’t made a final decision on his role.
“I’d like to decide soon and get my team together,” manager Dusty Baker said, via John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer. “I don’t like having guys in the middle. That’s a bad situation when you’re in the middle of anything. An unknown. Then everybody else is in an unknown situation.”
Baker noted that Chapman went through something similar last spring before eventually moving into the closer role and saving 38 games with a 1.51 ERA.
As for who, exactly, will be making the final decision on Chapman? Baker says “the decision is not only mine, it’s ours … but I got my opinion.” And if the manager gets his way Chapman will remain the Reds’ closer.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 18
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)