The Rangers are scouting Joba Chamberlain

Mar 13, 2013, 11:07 AM EDT

New York Yankees Photo Day Getty Images

Geore King of the Post reports:

Don Welke, a senior special assistant to Texas general manager Jon Daniels, was at Steinbrenner Field on Monday specifically to watch Chamberlain pitch an inning against St. Louis.

Buster Olney adds that Craig Gentry could be an intriguing player to send back to New York if, in fact, the Rangers are interested in a trade.

Obviously the Yankees’ short term needs don’t involve speedy, defense-first outfielders, but if the Yankees do stumble as so many of the doom-sayers are predicting, Chamberlain would be an interesting trade chit.

1. unclemosesgreen - Mar 13, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Gentry might make some sense for the Yanks, especially given that Granderson is out until May. He could push Gardner to LF until Grandy comes back and the play CF against LHP’s after he comes back.

2. einjzmolf - Mar 13, 2013 at 11:25 AM

I’m guessing Buster Olney forgot the part where the Rangers sorta lost a big name center fielder to free agency already, they sorta need one of those to start, and Joba Chamberlain is, well, a fat useless pitcher. I want some of what this guy’s smoking.

• albertmn - Mar 13, 2013 at 11:33 AM

I think you already had something stronger. You may want to take it easy.

3. pellypell - Mar 13, 2013 at 11:40 AM

For some reason, Joba’s moustache fascinates me.

• deathmonkey41 - Mar 13, 2013 at 11:49 AM

I can’t take my eyes off of it.

• professormaddog31 - Mar 13, 2013 at 12:34 PM

It’s like a train wreck, or a reality show starring a Kardashian. You know it’s wrong but it’s fascinating all the same.

• geoknows - Mar 13, 2013 at 11:55 AM

I threw up a little in my mouth when I saw it.

(I thought the Yankees had a “no facial hair” policy?)

• pellypell - Mar 13, 2013 at 11:58 AM

It’s almost like he shaved “down there” and glued it above his lip. Can’t quite call it.

• deathmonkey41 - Mar 13, 2013 at 12:11 PM

You are allowed to have a moustache that doesn’t come down past the corners of your mouth.

• historiophiliac - Mar 13, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Yup, natural birth control there.

4. uyf1950 - Mar 13, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Would hate to see Chamberlain go. But he has already said he would like to be given the opportunity to start and that is not likely to happen with the Yankees. So when he becomes a FA after this season he’s probably gone anyway. The Yankees have so many young arms in camp that have looked so good this spring I think there are plenty of young guys that could fill Chamberlains role with the Yankees. If the Yankees could get a much needed piece for him regardless of who it may be they should just do it, That’s my opinion.

• pisano - Mar 13, 2013 at 12:07 PM

uyf1950…I totally agree, besides all the young pitching they have, one being Rameriz, whom I think could crack the rotation this year, Joba never has lived up to what they were expecting, as you say if they can get an everyday player, and not a spare part, I say go for it.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Mar 13, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Ramirez needs to stay healthy for one season. Tons of potential, can’t stay off the DL.

5. dondada10 - Mar 13, 2013 at 11:52 AM

I find it out that this story leaked. I’m sure teams are constantly scouting each, getting books on each player.

A team, be it the Yanks or Rangers, wanted this to get out.

6. jarathen - Mar 13, 2013 at 11:54 AM

He’s trying to grow a sheriff stache like Sam Elliott to help his case.

• seivemusic01 - Mar 13, 2013 at 12:20 PM

The “stash” might work to his advantage on the mound. Batter see’s it and starts laughing so damn hard
      His plate discipline goes right out the window. I bet that’s the reason B.wilson
      Has that insane beard.

7. seivemusic01 - Mar 13, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Well apparently the chemistry with the yanks just ain’t clickin. The yanks saw something in him that I’m sure could fly with
    Some team. You never know players go to other teams and all of a sudden it’s on. The rangers have had some work that way for them and others not. The problem he would have in Texas is the hitter friendly park. Not real sure what
    His record in that park has been either. If he has a good ground ball ratio then it’s possible that’s what they see. And if there’s some shred of a good pitching future left in him they might figure if they get him with the Maddox brothers and what not then he might flip a switch and start killing it. It’s just scouting. Doesn’t mean they are gonna sign him

• beefytrout - Mar 13, 2013 at 12:24 PM

This post is to grammar what Joba’s moustache is to facial hair.

• seivemusic01 - Mar 13, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Lighten up.

• professormaddog31 - Mar 13, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Why can’t anyone spell their names right? U not O. Unless Garry Maddox has a brother, too. *headdesk*

• seivemusic01 - Mar 13, 2013 at 12:49 PM

My bad the iPhone auto corrected it.

8. 11thstreetmafia - Mar 14, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Jobs is a clown. “Yes officer, I have been drinking. But, don’t you know who I am?” What an ass.

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3303)