Yoenis Cespedes was reunited with his family

Mar 13, 2013, 6:45 AM EST

Athletics' Cespedes is congratulated after scoring against the Royals during their MLB Cactus League spring training game in Phoenix

Yoenis Cesepedes defected to the Dominican Republic from Cuba and eventually to the United States in 2011. When he did so he left his mother and 11 family members behind.  They eventually made it to the D.R. too, and then on to Turks and Caicos, where they had been detained at times, out of contact at others.  But finally, this past weekend, they made it to Miami. And Cespedes took a redeye flight to surprise them there on Saturday morning. Jane Lee of MLB.com reports:

“No one knew I was coming,” Cespedes said Tuesday, back with the A’s. “Everyone was sleeping, so I turned on all of the radios, all of the TVs. Nobody woke up, so I went upstairs and started knocking on all of the doors and screaming.”

Even more screaming ensued when the surprise guest was revealed. There was hugging, there was crying. Pure joy filled this reunion of mother and son, separated for over a year. And the party, Cespedes says, lasted 12 hours, before he had to return to the airport for a one-way trip back to Phoenix.

Lee reports that Cespedes, back in Phoenix and talking to reporters, seemed more relaxed and open than he ever had before, a great weight clearly lifted from his shoulders.

Demian Bulwa of the San Francisco Chronicle has more background on the odyssey Cespedes’ family experienced trying to get from Cuba to Miami.

1. vallewho - Mar 13, 2013 at 7:05 AM

Imagine how happy everyone will be if they actually make it to the US!

• Ralph - Mar 13, 2013 at 2:16 PM

So, what is it…poor geography skills or lack of reading comprehension?

• vallewho - Mar 13, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Neither. Have you ever been to Miami?

2. ezthinking - Mar 13, 2013 at 8:22 AM

I guess Miami isn’t part of the US then?

3. joecool16280 - Mar 13, 2013 at 8:41 AM

No offense, but this should be a Posnanski story.

4. jm91rs - Mar 13, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Cool story, glad they’re all together again. I hope he can get his son out of Cuba too. I can’t understand leaving my son for any amount of money, but if he can get him out and live here with him it will all be worth it.

5. pellypell - Mar 13, 2013 at 9:22 AM

“292 average while also collecting 23 home runs and 82 RBIs — along with 16 stolen bases — in 129 games”

Imagine what this fella is going to do with his family now safe and he no longer has their well being occupying his mind all of the time?

6. iamjimmyjack - Mar 13, 2013 at 11:16 AM

If your a baseball fan living in America, how can you not be into this WBC? This is fun to watch. David wright is clutch. He’s the best third baseman in baseball. I hope r.a. Dickey brings it next start and we crush the Dominican Republic. Baseball is an American sport, it’s about time we prove that we still own baseball to the rest of the world. This competition should be looked at like Olympic basketball. We should dominate American made sports. I’m sure when we do win this year, everyone will be more involved next WBC. My suggestion is that the planners schedule the American games in better baseball towns. Los Angeles is better than Arizona. Wrigley field is better than Miami. We need a large turnout to gain a real home field advantage. Also next WBC mike trout and Clayton kershaw are gonna play…book it.

• iamjimmyjack - Mar 13, 2013 at 11:18 AM

I’m an idiot. This comment above is not for this thread. I apologize. I’m not even sure how that happened.

• sanzarq - Mar 13, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Yeah, pretty much. But I like the fact that you had enough class to admit it, so no hard feelings, dude!

• jwbiii - Mar 13, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Los Angeles isn’t a bad idea, but he had snow in Chicago yesterday.

• jwbiii - Mar 13, 2013 at 12:08 PM

The 2009 finals were in Dodger Stadium and Angel Stadium was a second round site in 2006.

7. jwbiii - Mar 13, 2013 at 2:07 PM

I hope his family wasn’t detained in the jail on Grand Turk. That looks like something right out of Papillon.

8. norcaldeportes - Mar 13, 2013 at 10:47 PM

As the rapper Will Smith once said, “Bienbenidos a Me-ahmi”

9. louhudson23 - Mar 14, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Cespedes is one of the most impressive young players I have seen in many years. Hustle,instincts,fundamentals,talent,work ethic and a great,great deal of GAF. Happy he has his family with him now and wishing the best of luck in and out of baseball.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester