Mar 14, 2013, 9:31 PM EST
According to Bill Center of the San Diego Union-Tribune, Kelly said Tuesday’s exam showed “micro tears” in the ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow. He’ll go for a second opinion before deciding whether to undergo Tommy John surgery, but he conceded that it’s the most likely outcome.
“I’ve prepared myself for the worst,” said Kelly at an impromptu press conference in a hallway of the Padres spring training complex.
“I don’t have too many options. The doctors are concerned with what they saw.”
Interestingly, Kelly noted that this week’s MRI wasn’t much different from what was found last year. However, since rehab hasn’t done the job, he has prepared himself for the possibility of going under the knife. If Tommy John surgery is required, he will miss the entire season.
Kelly made six starts for the Padres last season and was recently ranked as the game’s 45th best prospect by Baseball America. While surgery would be a tough blow, he doesn’t turn 24 until October.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)