Mar 14, 2013, 6:59 PM EDT
Team USA will be without their hottest hitter for tonight’s second-round World Baseball Classic matchup against the Dominican Republic.
According to MLB Network, David Wright was scratched from tonight’s lineup due to a sore back. Willie Bloomquist will make the start at third base in his place and bat ninth, which is a pretty significant downgrade. Meanwhile, Giancarlo Stanton will move up to the fifth spot in the order.
It’s a tough break for Team USA, as Wright is 7-for-16 (.438) with one home run, 10 RBI and four runs scored during the tournament. He went 2-for-5 with five RBI in a 7-1 victory over Puerto Rico on Tuesday.
UPDATE: Heidi Watney said on the MLB Network telecast that Wright was scratched for precautionary reasons, but will not be available to pinch hit tonight.
UPDATE II: According to David Lennon of New York Newsday, Wright said the injury is more on the back of his left rib cage. He will see Mets doctors on Friday in Port St. Lucie, so his status for the rest of the tournament is in doubt.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)