Mar 14, 2013, 7:14 AM EDT
Derek Jeter returned last night for his first game action at shortstop since breaking his leg in the ALCS. He got exactly one defensive chance: a grounder right to him, which he fielded cleanly, natch.
He said he felt fine. The Yankees say he won’t play back-to-back games in the field for a while. But he is expected to be on track for Opening Day.
In other news: that picture of Jeter brings home just how important the Yankees uniforms are to the mystique, yes? I’m not kidding. How different would be think of Jeter if he routinely played with some team in a central division that routinely wore the softball uniform alternate jerseys as opposed to the clean and businesslike pinstripes and road grays?
It’s easy to mock the whole Yankees’ mystique and aura thing, but there are elements of truth to it. Even if he had won five rings playing for, say, Colorado, how much more of an iconic figure is Jeter for having played in pinstripes?
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 1
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 19
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 11
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 36
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 11
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 42
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (186)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)