Mar 14, 2013, 7:14 AM EST
Derek Jeter returned last night for his first game action at shortstop since breaking his leg in the ALCS. He got exactly one defensive chance: a grounder right to him, which he fielded cleanly, natch.
He said he felt fine. The Yankees say he won’t play back-to-back games in the field for a while. But he is expected to be on track for Opening Day.
In other news: that picture of Jeter brings home just how important the Yankees uniforms are to the mystique, yes? I’m not kidding. How different would be think of Jeter if he routinely played with some team in a central division that routinely wore the softball uniform alternate jerseys as opposed to the clean and businesslike pinstripes and road grays?
It’s easy to mock the whole Yankees’ mystique and aura thing, but there are elements of truth to it. Even if he had won five rings playing for, say, Colorado, how much more of an iconic figure is Jeter for having played in pinstripes?
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (127)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)