Mar 14, 2013, 7:14 AM EST
Derek Jeter returned last night for his first game action at shortstop since breaking his leg in the ALCS. He got exactly one defensive chance: a grounder right to him, which he fielded cleanly, natch.
He said he felt fine. The Yankees say he won’t play back-to-back games in the field for a while. But he is expected to be on track for Opening Day.
In other news: that picture of Jeter brings home just how important the Yankees uniforms are to the mystique, yes? I’m not kidding. How different would be think of Jeter if he routinely played with some team in a central division that routinely wore the softball uniform alternate jerseys as opposed to the clean and businesslike pinstripes and road grays?
It’s easy to mock the whole Yankees’ mystique and aura thing, but there are elements of truth to it. Even if he had won five rings playing for, say, Colorado, how much more of an iconic figure is Jeter for having played in pinstripes?
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 39
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 89
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 121
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 36
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 68
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (121)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (108)