Mar 14, 2013, 7:14 AM EDT
Derek Jeter returned last night for his first game action at shortstop since breaking his leg in the ALCS. He got exactly one defensive chance: a grounder right to him, which he fielded cleanly, natch.
He said he felt fine. The Yankees say he won’t play back-to-back games in the field for a while. But he is expected to be on track for Opening Day.
In other news: that picture of Jeter brings home just how important the Yankees uniforms are to the mystique, yes? I’m not kidding. How different would be think of Jeter if he routinely played with some team in a central division that routinely wore the softball uniform alternate jerseys as opposed to the clean and businesslike pinstripes and road grays?
It’s easy to mock the whole Yankees’ mystique and aura thing, but there are elements of truth to it. Even if he had won five rings playing for, say, Colorado, how much more of an iconic figure is Jeter for having played in pinstripes?
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 26
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 25
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 33
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 89
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (121)