Derrek Lee turns down Yankees, will stay retired

Mar 14, 2013, 8:35 PM EDT

In the wake of Mark Teixeira‘s right wrist injury, the Yankees contacted Derrek Lee to see if he would be interested in coming out of retirement to fill in at first base. However, they are going to have to go back to the drawing board.

Lee is just the latest retired player to turn down the Yankees, joining former Braves third baseman Chipper Jones. Yankees general manager Brian Cashman confirmed to Bryan Hoch of MLB.com that he also reached out to Scott Rolen, but he got the impression that he will not play this season.

Assuming the Yankees stick to internal options, they could go with Dan Johnson, Juan Rivera or Kevin Youkilis at first base. If Youkilis plays first, Jayson Nix, Eduardo Nunez and Ronnier Mustelier are among the possibilities to fill in at third.

1. cshearing - Mar 14, 2013 at 9:07 PM

That Yankee allure ain’t what it used to be.

Yes, I am being facetious.

Mostly.

2. tuberippin - Mar 14, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Yankees corner IF checklist:

* Scott Rolen
    * Chipper Jones
    * Derrek Lee
    * Not Carlos Lee
    * Not Carlos Lee
    * Anyone but Carlos Lee
    * Travis Lee
    * Lee Stevens
    * The decomposed remains of General Robert E. Lee (luxury tax)
    * The decomposing remains of Aubrey Huff
    * Garrett Atkins (too young)
    * Orlando Hudson
    * Ben Broussard
    * Julio Franco
    * Mike Lowell
    * Fred McGriff

• Kevin S. - Mar 14, 2013 at 9:36 PM

*slow clap*

• hammyofdoom - Mar 14, 2013 at 9:42 PM

I… I think I love you

• Old Gator - Mar 14, 2013 at 9:52 PM

But I wanna know for sure….

• tuberippin - Mar 15, 2013 at 12:56 AM

You think you love me…so what are you so afraid of?

That’s right, I just brought a Partridge Family reference up in this mother.

• fastjohnnyz - Mar 15, 2013 at 9:15 AM

You forgot Chris Chambliss and Cecil Fielder

3. dowhatifeellike - Mar 14, 2013 at 9:23 PM

I hear Palmeiro isn’t super busy.

4. historiophiliac - Mar 14, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Thome!

5. yournuts - Mar 14, 2013 at 9:36 PM

As a Yankee fan my thoughts are that I’d rather have someone come up from the minors than have Derrek Lee.

6. 13arod - Mar 14, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Jim thome jim thome is still here can’t believe they didn’t contact him yet

• tuberippin - Mar 14, 2013 at 11:51 PM

As much as I love Jim Thome, he can’t play first base. Phils brought him in to play 1B last year and while he gave it a shot, it was clear his back is going to prevent him from ever being a fielder again, thus why Baltimore didn’t play him at 1st base once they acquired him.

Even if you sign him to DH, you still have to move another DH, Travis Hafner, over to 1B, a position that Hafner has not played since 2007. My assumption is they’re looking more for someone who is good with the glove moreso than the bat, given that (at least at first base) they’re aiming for a two-month fill-in.

• historiophiliac - Mar 15, 2013 at 7:33 AM

You’re harshing our Doom Watch.

• jwbiii - Mar 15, 2013 at 11:37 AM

The 1B options remaining are Carlos Lee and Aubrey Huff. Not particularly enticing. A better plan might be to try to sign one of remaining sort of 3B, Orlando Hudson or Adam Kennedy, and move Youkilis to 1B.

7. Old Gator - Mar 14, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Tweeter. Puh-leeeeze…..

8. pisano - Mar 14, 2013 at 10:15 PM

That’s good news, best for both parties. I think a big disappointment was looming. They have enough in house until Tex gets back.

• cackalackyank - Mar 14, 2013 at 10:37 PM

I would be more inclined to agree with you if Tex were the only piece missing. They have a lot of bases to cover. Pun very much intended.

9. steelers88 - Mar 14, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Are the Yankees really this desperate? HA! I’m loving it!

10. jessethegreat - Mar 15, 2013 at 1:01 AM

J.T. Snow! Dudes probably still got better range than half the 1B men in baseball!

11. geoffrey86 - Mar 15, 2013 at 2:20 AM

Isn’t a veteran like Tino Martinez or Eddie Murray still available? Why are they going after young guys like Derek Lee? Hey, the Yankees might even be able to pry Don Mattingly away from the Dodgers.

12. jimmymarlinsfan - Mar 15, 2013 at 3:37 AM

Thank you D-Lee for not tarnishing your career anymore beyond your years with the not so lovable losers

13. jaysjunkie - Mar 15, 2013 at 7:20 AM

Oh, how the mighty have fallen. I love it.

14. gunpowderjones - Mar 15, 2013 at 8:42 AM

He wanted to go out as a Bucco.

15. turdfurgerson68 - Mar 15, 2013 at 1:06 PM

I know I’ll get hammered for saying this (at least 50+ thumbs down, ha ha), but why not shift Jeter over to first base?

Look, everyone, even Yankee diehards have to admit the obvious; Jeter is an awful SS. Coming off of his injury at his age can only limit his already extremely limited range. Nunez is a much better option at SS at this point.

Besides being at first may even extend Jeter’s career.

Yankee fans, what would rather have:

a) Jeter remains at SS; doesn’t break Roses’ hit record