Mar 14, 2013, 11:03 AM EDT
The Phillies signed Laynce Nix to a two-year deal before last season. Season one didn’t work out that well due to Nix suffering a number of maladies, specifically with his calf. Dennis Deitch of the DelCo Times reports that Nix thinks he has figured out the cause of those woes: Nike:
“To be short and direct,” Nix said Wednesday, “the shoes that I was wearing didn’t flex where my toes flex, and it caused tension in the Achilles’ [tendon] and calves. That built up for a couple of years in my Achilles and calves … [Jimmy Rollins and Shane Victorino] had [calf issues] too, and had worn Nikes before,” Nix said. “Certain shoes that Nike makes just don’t do that (offer toe flex), and it’s really shocking.”
So what’s he wearing now?
“I’m switching up,” Nix said. “I’ve been going between Mizuno, New Balance and Adidas. I’m shopping around.”
No love for L.A. Gear or Kangaroos? Shameful.
Oh well. I guess all there is to do now is to wait for Phil Knight’s hit squads to take Nix out. That’s how it works, right?
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 21
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 60
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 53
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 18
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)