Mar 14, 2013, 11:03 AM EST
The Phillies signed Laynce Nix to a two-year deal before last season. Season one didn’t work out that well due to Nix suffering a number of maladies, specifically with his calf. Dennis Deitch of the DelCo Times reports that Nix thinks he has figured out the cause of those woes: Nike:
“To be short and direct,” Nix said Wednesday, “the shoes that I was wearing didn’t flex where my toes flex, and it caused tension in the Achilles’ [tendon] and calves. That built up for a couple of years in my Achilles and calves … [Jimmy Rollins and Shane Victorino] had [calf issues] too, and had worn Nikes before,” Nix said. “Certain shoes that Nike makes just don’t do that (offer toe flex), and it’s really shocking.”
So what’s he wearing now?
“I’m switching up,” Nix said. “I’ve been going between Mizuno, New Balance and Adidas. I’m shopping around.”
No love for L.A. Gear or Kangaroos? Shameful.
Oh well. I guess all there is to do now is to wait for Phil Knight’s hit squads to take Nix out. That’s how it works, right?
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 56
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 85
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 37
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 14
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (85)