Laynce Nix blames Nike for last year’s injury woes

Mar 14, 2013, 11:03 AM EST

No Nike

The Phillies signed Laynce Nix to a two-year deal before last season. Season one didn’t work out that well due to Nix suffering a number of maladies, specifically with his calf. Dennis Deitch of the DelCo Times reports that Nix thinks he has figured out the cause of those woes: Nike:

“To be short and direct,” Nix said Wednesday, “the shoes that I was wearing didn’t flex where my toes flex, and it caused tension in the Achilles’ [tendon] and calves. That built up for a couple of years in my Achilles and calves … [Jimmy Rollins and Shane Victorino] had [calf issues] too, and had worn Nikes before,” Nix said. “Certain shoes that Nike makes just don’t do that (offer toe flex), and it’s really shocking.”

He thinks injuries to Mark Teixeira and Albert Pujols are attributable to Nikes too.

So what’s he wearing now?

“I’m switching up,” Nix said. “I’ve been going between Mizuno, New Balance and Adidas. I’m shopping around.”

No love for L.A. Gear or Kangaroos? Shameful.

Oh well. I guess all there is to do now is to wait for Phil Knight’s hit squads to take Nix out.  That’s how it works, right?

1. Old Gator - Mar 14, 2013 at 11:10 AM

What a lot of rubbish. Next he’ll be claiming that Nike caused Hugo Chavez’ cancer. I think Nix would stop tripping all over himself if he would remove that stupid “y” from “Laynce.” Look at the way its sticks out there…probably keeps getting caught on things all the time, too.

• papalurchdxb - Mar 14, 2013 at 12:09 PM

It’s not as crazy as it seems to be fair. Ryan Giggs (long serving football player for Manchester United and part-time lothario) had continued hamstring problems. These almost disappeared over-night when he ditched his Ferrari. Specialists had noticed that the driving position caused by the low bucket seats & pedals put undue stress on his hamstrings and was causing all of the problems.

Sometimes it genuinely is something silly that causes these things.

• Old Gator - Mar 14, 2013 at 12:53 PM

I recall back in around 1969 or so then-Florida governor Claude Kirk blamed the state legislature for providing him with a Learjet – which he described as a “bucket of bolts” – whose seats gave him kidney problems.

Take the bus, Claude.

And next time go buy yourself a pair of knockoff sneakers at the Sunday flea market out at the drive-in, La(y)nce.

• historiophiliac - Mar 14, 2013 at 12:40 PM

His brother Jayson is equally annoying.

• Old Gator - Mar 14, 2013 at 4:13 PM

What’s with all these Y’s? Did their father have an extra Y chromosome or something?

• indaburg - Mar 14, 2013 at 1:25 PM

I believe him, OG. Years ago, I wore Nike running shoes. They weren’t uncomfortable, but something about those shoes gave me the worst case of shin splints. I switched brands per my doctor recommendation and the problem never recurred. Of course, it didn’t take me two years to figure it out. If you’re having problems with your Achilles tendon and your calves, your shoes should be a primary suspect.

• historiophiliac - Mar 14, 2013 at 1:36 PM

I replace my workout shoes every 6 months. How did he not change shoes then? (PS Knees also — pain in knee, check shoe support)

• indaburg - Mar 14, 2013 at 1:49 PM

I’m guessing he did, but he probably kept switching to the same style of Nike shoe or stayed within the Nike family. Yeah, a lot of different pain can be attributed to the wrong shoe fit–lower back, hip pain too.

• historiophiliac - Mar 14, 2013 at 1:59 PM

No, I meant, when he replaced his shoes, why didn’t he change kinds. Duh. That seems like an obvious thing to try. (I can’t wear Nikes either, but that’s about how they fit.) I had a pair of New Balance and it didn’t take me a month to just eat the cost of that and go back to my old brand.

• indaburg - Mar 14, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Oh, I misunderstood. Ummm…maybe he’s just not very bright? Either way, his trainers let him down. I guess no Nike endorsements for him.

• historiophiliac - Mar 14, 2013 at 2:10 PM

When his brother played in Tulsa (god, he sucked), it was funny to watch them warm up. No one threw to him. Clearly a clubhouse guy. lol

• indaburg - Mar 14, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Yeah, he must be. I should have added that besides the fact that he’s not very good, no Nike endorsements for him.

Man, slow news day.

• historiophiliac - Mar 14, 2013 at 2:36 PM

I knoooooowwwww. The posts are all boobz and bacon now. :( zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• blacksables - Mar 14, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Shoulda stuck with his Keds.

• bleedgreen - Mar 14, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Maybe he had an endorsement deal with Nike?

2. jam11163 - Mar 14, 2013 at 11:19 AM

just when you think you heard it all. maby his jock was to small…

3. bringbackkosar - Mar 14, 2013 at 11:19 AM

So will he sue for millions? probably. what a tool

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Mar 14, 2013 at 11:23 AM

perhaps Nike will…

4. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Mar 14, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Keds should help his feel grip the floor in front of the bench. With a little bit of health luck for the Phillies, that is where he will be spending his time

5. dowhatifeellike - Mar 14, 2013 at 11:29 AM

I hear Crocs are pretty comfortable.

Really, though, even if the shoes did cause the problems, it’s still his fault for not switching to something else.

6. dowhatifeellike - Mar 14, 2013 at 11:31 AM

“Phil Knight tricked us all!” – Macklemore

7. sportsdrenched - Mar 14, 2013 at 11:40 AM

I don’t know if he can speak for other players. But if Nike’s aren’t right for his feet…they’re not right for his feet. I’ve had more than one foot/ankle injury from shoes that didn’t fit right.

• kopy - Mar 14, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Growing up I always wore brand new cleats the next time I took a shower. A teammate informed me that getting them soaked while wearing them helps them mold around your feet and prevents blisters/discomfort.

He could have been full of it, but it was a potential high reward for no risk.

• jwbiii - Mar 14, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Good lord. I’m not which one of my parents would have killed me first if I left spike holes in the tub!

8. unlost1 - Mar 14, 2013 at 11:44 AM

outrageous and funny
    Thumbs down if you believe him. i gotta see who else is that crazy here

9. tfbuckfutter - Mar 14, 2013 at 11:48 AM

To be honest, I can see his point.

I had a neck problem that eventually traced to a pair of New Balance shoes I was wearing for running. It lasted almost a year until the shoes wore out.

A lot of problems come from quirky things that you’d never connect.

• historiophiliac - Mar 14, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Hello, Brennan Boesch. Switch shoes already.

10. chaseutley - Mar 14, 2013 at 11:49 AM

LA Gear. Nice. Maybe Nix could get his hands on a sweet pair of British Knights while he’s out shopping.

• tfbuckfutter - Mar 14, 2013 at 11:56 AM

He should try and schedule an appearance on Nick Arcade.

They had the tightest BK’s that all the contestants got.

He should start brushing up on his Super Ghouls and Ghosts.

• bleedgreen - Mar 14, 2013 at 7:41 PM

With that super cool BK Button?!

• Minoring In Baseball - Mar 15, 2013 at 2:45 AM

Maybe just a good pair of KEDS..

11. dowhatifeellike - Mar 14, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Another thought: shouldn’t these guys be getting professional fittings? Especially the guys with shoe deals, specifically so this sort of thing doesn’t happen.

12. Jonny 5 - Mar 14, 2013 at 12:06 PM

I guess it was about 1981-82 when I was in 3rd grade and had myself a sweet pair of Traxx sneakers. Black with yellow trim. They were the bomb. I miss them. Is it wrong that I feel no shame in saying this while listening to The Clash from my mp3 player?

13. gza385 - Mar 14, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Is there anything more “90′s” than LA Gear? You could make a case for Dave Coulier, and Pogs.

14. lroc20 - Mar 14, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Non story like most pieces of crap craig writes

• gunpowderjones - Mar 14, 2013 at 12:35 PM

How often do real, true Iroc stories come out? Should they just update the blog weekly?

• stlouis1baseball - Mar 14, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Thanks for gracing us with your ever positive, incredibly helpful presence.
      Next time…save yourself (and us)…the trouble and keep moving along.
      Of course… I fully realize you suffer from a grave form of “penis head syndrome.”
      In which case…you are still a tool.

15. unclemosesgreen - Mar 14, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Ridiculous – everyone knows Nike products only ruin golfers’ careers.

16. eshine76 - Mar 14, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Talk to any runner and they’ll tell you that every brand has a different fit. Some are more narrow in the toe, some have more arch support, whatever. That’s why runners obsess about finding the right shoe because you can definitely feel the difference after a 10 mile run.

That being said, Nix runs from the dugout to 2nd and from home plate to the dugout by way of 1st base after a slow roller to short. I don’t know if that’s enough to cause an Achilles injury. Maybe, but it could be that a shoe rep found a way to sign a new client.

• eshine76 - Mar 14, 2013 at 1:37 PM

sorry, wrong position. Either way, he likely doesn’t run enough to feel a huge difference.

17. anxovies - Mar 14, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Do they still make the black, high-top Converse All Stars with 50 lace holes? Maybe that’s the way for him to go.

18. yahmule - Mar 14, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Goddamn underage sweatshop workers can’t do anything right.

• gunpowderjones - Mar 14, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Not enough grit over in Bangladesh

19. scotttheskeptic - Mar 14, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Please, Mr. Knight, open that roster spot. God knows Rubes won’t.

20. 11thstreetmafia - Mar 14, 2013 at 3:24 PM

I had this problem with all of these shirts fitting properly. Perhaps it is the shirts that don’t fit correctly as opposed to my beer gut being too large. I am out of shape because of these tight fitting shirts!!!

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4505)