Netherlands likely to add Kenley Jansen if they reach WBC finals

Mar 14, 2013, 2:14 PM EDT

Kenley Jansen AP

If the Netherlands can win their semi-final game and advance to the World Baseball Classic finals they’ll likely add Dodgers reliever Kenley Jansen to the roster.

Jansen told Ken Gurnick of MLB.com that it’s “95 percent” he’d join the team despite offseason surgery for an irregular heartbeat. He’d stay in Dodgers camp until Sunday, fly to San Francisco for the WBC, and then fly back to Dodgers camp by Wednesday.

Dodgers manager Don Mattingly likes the idea: “He’s not missing anything and, actually, we think this will be good for him. He’ll get into competition and it will be a good scenario, as far as the competition and energy level, and the fact it will only be a couple of days.”

Before any of that happens the Netherlands would first have to defeat the Pool 2 winner in a game Monday night. Rangers prospect Jurickson Profar has already been added to the roster for that game.

1. cktai - Mar 14, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Three things pop into mu mind:
    1. Why only the final game? we could have used him before.
    2. Is it even allowed within the rules of WBC?

• cktai - Mar 14, 2013 at 2:46 PM

3. Who would have to be dropped from the roster to accommodate his inclusion?

• freddieoh - Mar 14, 2013 at 3:02 PM

I’d assume that any pitcher from the semifinal who’d be “pitch count-ineligible” for the final would be the choice to be replaced by Kenley, with the semifinal’s starting pitcher as the default choice.

• cktai - Mar 14, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Would that count as between the rounds though?

• freddieoh - Mar 14, 2013 at 9:52 PM

/whenTotal misread on my part – I thought Kenley was going to be added only if the team reached the finals, when what will actually happen is he’ll be added now for Jonatan Isenia. My bad everybody.

• freddieoh - Mar 14, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Total misread on my part – I thought Kenley was going to be added only if/when the team reached the finals, when what will actually happen is he’ll be added now for Jonatan Isenia. My bad everybody.

• cktai - Mar 15, 2013 at 3:50 AM

That’s the way I read it too actually, so it’s not you, it’s Aaron :).

The Dutch baseball federation reports that Isenia is out with an injury to his left elbow sustained during the second game against Japan. Somehow I managed to miss that while I was watching the entire game

• orelmiraculous - Mar 14, 2013 at 2:56 PM

1. He wasn’t on the original roster because he wasn’t sure how well he would recover from heart surgery.
      2. It is allowed, but only between rounds (just like it is in the MLB playoffs).
      3. Good question.

2. cktai - Mar 14, 2013 at 3:11 PM

It’s a bit odd, because on some sites, mostly the Dutch ones, it says that Kenley Jansen was left out because of his recovery, but I have seen other sources say that he wanted to work on keeping baserunners from stealing on him with Sandy Koufax.

• cktai - Mar 14, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Oh, this comment was meant to be a reply to orelmiraculous :(

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3416)