Mar 14, 2013, 5:31 PM EDT
Kyle Lohse remains unsigned, but he’s been throwing at Scott Boras’ training facility in California and the agent says he’s “talking with a number of teams.”
“A lot of teams are evaluating their existing situations, but have called and have interest in Kyle,” Boras told Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, who reports that the asking price remains a three-year contract with a “big” annual salary.
And unless Lohse waits to sign until after the June draft he’ll also cost a first-round pick.
Boras previously got Rafael Soriano and Michael Bourn much bigger contracts than most people expected given their late signing dates, but with three weeks until the season begins holding out for a three-year deal for a 34-year-old pitcher seems extremely unlikely to happen. Even for Boras.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)