Mar 14, 2013, 1:33 PM EDT
The Blue Jays have trained in Dunedin, Florida since the team was founded. But their lease is up in 2017 and, though they say they’d like to stay in Dunedin, there is at least some level of flirtation between them and Fort Myers, which still has an empty City of Palms Park, the old Red Sox joint.
The Fort Myers News-Press reports that Lee County — which runs the Fort Myers facility — would love to have them. But that (a) there are a lot more Canadian tourists up where the Jays train now than down in Lee County; and (b) one of the things the Jays would most like is for the ballpark and the minor league training facility to be in one location, but City of Palms does not and cannot offer that.
As we’ve noted in the past, the Nats have had discussions with Lee County too, but that doesn’t seem to be going anyplace. And really, in a day and age when teams are getting ground-up facilities with all of the new amenities, it’s gotta be a hard sell to get anyone to move into an old park like City of Palms. At the very least there would have to be a lot of incentives to do so.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 4
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 7
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 27
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 58
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 78
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (189)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)