The Indians’ Harlem Shake video is out

Mar 14, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT

Yeah, yeah, I know. You’re too cool for Harlem Shake videos. And I’ll grant you that they’re usually stupid. But given the depths to which we have historically sunk around here in the name of content, mockery and mock-worthy content, I don’t think I’m setting some sort of new precedent by embedding the Indians’ version of it, which we talked about the other day:

It’s not the best executed Harlem Shake video you’ll ever see. I prefer the classic construct of a single camera on a single shot with just one jump-cut. But you gotta admit that seeing Francona shake his hiney is worth what you paid to watch this video.

1. jarathen - Mar 14, 2013 at 12:33 PM

2. heyblueyoustink - Mar 14, 2013 at 12:42 PM

So, Francona’s been reaching back to his shirtless i’ll steal your girlfriend days. Good for him!

But rea;;y Craig, couldn’t you give us some baseball history or a lovey dovey Bryce Harper article or a disparaging rant against Aquaman or something?

3. number42is1 - Mar 14, 2013 at 12:56 PM

show of hands… how many of you exepected the new Pope to come out to a Harlem Shake intro with all the cardinals in tow???

4. stlouis1baseball - Mar 14, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Wow. Just…wow.
    C.C: I am sure your almost apologetic tone makes you feel better for linking this video.
    But it matters not. You should be very sorry and feel incredibly lame. Lame and Sorry.

5. 2dmo4 - Mar 14, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Lame. Can’t we please put a moratorium on this stupid fad.

6. garythebat - Mar 14, 2013 at 2:08 PM

It’s not that we’re too cool. It’s simply that this dreck is so played out and lame. It’s the same reason no one wants to see another Call Me Maybe reenactment video. I’m worried about you, Craig.

• albertmn - Mar 14, 2013 at 2:52 PM

It’s not even that it is played out. It was lame from the get go.

7. steveohho - Mar 14, 2013 at 2:15 PM

I am indebted to Hardball Talk and their tireless work. Unfortunately now, there are so few sites that write about the important internet memes of the day.

8. paperlions - Mar 14, 2013 at 2:17 PM

I had never before heard of a Harlem Shake video, and I wish I could return to my prior state.

9. pellypell - Mar 14, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Hiney? I think I just figured out Craig Calcaterra is my grandmother’s nom de plume.

10. hughhansen - Mar 14, 2013 at 5:10 PM

This has some good stuff in it. Francona dancing is great, and the players were obviously gung-ho about it.

They over-shot and edited it, though. The thing that makes the Harlem Shake work is that it’s so short that it’s over before it gets old (the mob part is only 15 seconds). By extending it, this one gets pretty old and boring by the time it’s done.

I just critiqued a Harlem Shake video, so now I’m off to self-immolate.

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey