The Royals want a lot for Luke Hochevar in a trade? Really?

Mar 14, 2013, 8:23 AM EDT

I read this. Then I took a sip of coffee and read it again, just so I could do a proper spit-take:

I mean, really, you can see their point. It’s not every day that you find a $4.56 million middle reliever with a 5.39 career ERA and tons of innings under his belt because a team, inexplicably, gave him so many chances to fail. And as we all know, scarcity makes things valuable.

1. proudlycanadian - Mar 14, 2013 at 8:29 AM

I am sure that there has to be a team out there with a couple of dud first round picks that could offer the Royals a trade of equal value.

• paperlions - Mar 14, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Sure, as long as the Royals throw in $4M to even out the salaries.

2. brewcrewfan54 - Mar 14, 2013 at 8:34 AM

I wanted a lot for my 2001 Ford Taurus 3 years ago when I bought a new car. Like the Royals with Hochevar, I didn’t get it.

• paperlions - Mar 14, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Yeah, but I bet that Taurus was still somewhat useful, right?

• brewcrewfan54 - Mar 14, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Ha! Yes it was still a champ actually.

3. atepperm - Mar 14, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Excuse me, Craig, but I think you meant to say “a $4.56 million middle reliever with a 5.39 career ERA and tons of innings under his belt AND TWO YEARS OF TEAM CONTROL LEFT.”

Isn’t it worth a blue chip prospect or two to know you’ve locked down the next Buddy Groom? Imagine if everything fell into place and he turned into Mike Mohler…

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Mar 14, 2013 at 9:40 AM

If teams are not willing to give up a draft pick to sign Kyle Lohse, I can’t see anyone giving up a prospect for the right to overpay Hochevar

4. jm91rs - Mar 14, 2013 at 8:50 AM

If you’re going to do a planned spit-take, I really recommend water. It’s so much easier to clean up than coffee.

5. gza385 - Mar 14, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Maybe they can trade him to the Chiefs for Matt Cassel?

6. unclemosesgreen - Mar 14, 2013 at 9:04 AM

I would read that statement as “we won’t send 1/2 his salary in a trade,” which makes a little more sense. If you’re going to overpay him to pitch poorly for someone, it might as well be you. Of course, trying to make sense out of the Royals’ moves would be barking up the wrong tree.

7. andreweac - Mar 14, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Hey, if the Rays got a top 5 prospect for Shields then Dude must be worth a top 100 prospect right. Wait… Tony Reagins is no longer running the Angels?

8. js20011041 - Mar 14, 2013 at 9:10 AM

I guess this really shouldn’t be surprising. This is a team that decided Jeff Francouer was a better RF option than Wil Myers. They acquired Yuniesky Betancourt twice. They think that a rotation consisting of James Shields and essentially four stiffs is good enough to compete for a playoff spot with one of the best teams in baseball. They had the best farm system baseball has seen in decades. A farm system so good everyone said, “well, even the Royals can’t fuck this up,” and they (at least so far) have managed to fuck it up. And that’s just since last year, let alone everything that’s happened over the last twenty. There is no level of incompetence or irrationality that should be surprising with this organization.

• ltzep75 - Mar 14, 2013 at 9:25 AM

I gave you a thumbs up simply for this line:

“They acquired Yuniesky Betancourt twice.”

That, in a nutshell, sums up the Royals.

• brewcrewfan54 - Mar 14, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Ha! The Yuni B. line is probably the best I’ll read on the internet today!

• sportsdrenched - Mar 14, 2013 at 10:41 AM

What makes the Yuni thing more funny, or in my case disusting, is that he replaced Tony Pena Jr!

But I digress, this is my favorite line:

“well, even the Royals can’t fuck this up,” and they (at least so far) have managed to fuck it up.”

If anyone has watched Eric Hosmer lately. I have to wonder. How much of his struggles are on him, or the organization? And it pisses me off that I even think of that question.

9. bankboy2012 - Mar 14, 2013 at 9:16 AM

What, they’re asking for two buckets of batting practice balls instead of one? If someone’s offering to take him and his whole salary don’t haggle, just say done deal and drive him to where he needs to be, preferably with a blindfold on him so he doesn’t find his way back.

10. sportsdrenched - Mar 14, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Luke Hochevar has been my least favorite Royal for a long time. His whole track record with the organization has confused and maddened me, with the exception of the year or two when he first came up.

He was drafted in 2006 right after Allard Biard was fired, but before Dayton Moore took the job. Think about that. Hochevar isn’t the current regimes guy. Dayton Moore then fired the scouting director that “made” the pick. Despite all that, Hochevar has got chance after, after chance, after chance. Instead of non-tenduring him. The bring him back, give him 3 ST starts and then send to the BP. And now comes this report that they want a lot, well, more than the market will bear for him.

All of this screams that Dan Glass (not David, Dan is David’s son and has not had a real job outside of his father’s organizations) is still meddling in baseball operations. Which was a big reason Allard botched the Carlos Beltran trade. If you’d like to refer to Dan as Tommy Boy, that comparison has been made. And as long he’s in the pitcure the Royals will continue to be the most inept franchise that defies all probabilties of futility.

11. geoknows - Mar 14, 2013 at 10:25 AM

“Quite a bit” is relative. For example, the Royals have talked to the Rockies about Hochevar. Let’s say they asked for Charlie Blackmon, a reasonable return given that Blackmon is a soon-to-be 27 year old fourth outfielder type with 223 major league plate appearances trying to make a team that’s pretty well set in the outfield. Dan O’Dowd, for his part, might think that’s too much.

12. jsally430 - Mar 14, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Why won’t they give crow a shot in the rotation? oh that’s right its the royals. such a shame.

• jwbiii - Mar 14, 2013 at 11:29 AM

a) Crow is too valuable as a set up man.
      b) The front office sees Bruce Chen as a huge part of the Royals’ future.
      c) Collective insanity.

13. umrguy42 - Mar 14, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Because sometimes I lead a sad, sad life… (hoping the image embeds):

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5160)