Mar 14, 2013, 9:44 AM EDT
I saw the headline “Vernon Wells trying to hit his way into the Angels’ outfield,” and my first thought was that this was some sort of Tonya Harding/Nancy Kerrigan situation. WATCH OUT, MIKE TROUT!
But really: Wells is totally raking this spring: .389/.455/.889 with three homers. granted (a) he’s playing later in games and is thus facing crappier pitching; and (b) spring training stats aren’t worth a diddly-durn, but after the two years he’s lodged in Anaheim any success on Wells part is worthy of note.
Still, as Anthony Witrado reports in the linked story, Wells just doesn’t have a position. Mike Scioscia is doing the right thing in giving Peter Bourjos every opportunity to play center, making Mark Trumbo his DH, is keeping Trout on a corner, and is relegating Wells to spot-DH duties and a backup outfield role to start the season.
Granted, having Josh Hamilton and Albert Pujols at first and right will likely lead to some DL time and that will give Wells and opportunity here and there. But really, this is how it should be. Sizzling spring or not, if Wells is getting, like, 400 plate appearances in 2013, something has gone dreadfully wrong in Anaheim.
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 54
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 5
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 16
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 8
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (73)