Mar 15, 2013, 7:30 PM EDT
The promotion of Ryne Sandberg from manager of Phillies Triple-A affiliate Lehigh Valley IronPigs to third base coach for the Philadelphia Phillies was seen by many as a precursor for changes to come. Current manager Charlie Manuel, now 69 years old, is in the final year of his contract. Quite a few Phillies could go after the season as well, including Chase Utley, Carlos Ruiz, Roy Halladay, and Michael Young. With a changing of the guard on the horizon, many think 2013 is Manuel’s last year in Philly, but he isn’t ready to hang up the spikes yet and doesn’t understand why the Phillies have yet to extend his contract.
Manuel isn’t one to make demands, but it seems he’s a bit peeved.
“I’m not disappointed in it at all. I don’t know if I get it or not,” Manuel said. “I think they can do whatever they want to do. That’s how I look at it. Actually, when you get right down to it, it doesn’t bother me a whole lot because I have nothing to do with it. If you stop and think about it, I don’t have nothing to do with it. I mean that in a good way.”
Manuel led the Phillies to their second championship in the franchise’s 130-year history and five consecutive NL East titles. He has also set franchise-bests leading his 2011 squad to 102 wins, and surpassing Gene Mauch with the most managerial wins (currently 727) as a Phillie. The Phillies overall have a .561 winning percentage under his stewardship.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)