Mar 15, 2013, 7:30 PM EST
The promotion of Ryne Sandberg from manager of Phillies Triple-A affiliate Lehigh Valley IronPigs to third base coach for the Philadelphia Phillies was seen by many as a precursor for changes to come. Current manager Charlie Manuel, now 69 years old, is in the final year of his contract. Quite a few Phillies could go after the season as well, including Chase Utley, Carlos Ruiz, Roy Halladay, and Michael Young. With a changing of the guard on the horizon, many think 2013 is Manuel’s last year in Philly, but he isn’t ready to hang up the spikes yet and doesn’t understand why the Phillies have yet to extend his contract.
Manuel isn’t one to make demands, but it seems he’s a bit peeved.
“I’m not disappointed in it at all. I don’t know if I get it or not,” Manuel said. “I think they can do whatever they want to do. That’s how I look at it. Actually, when you get right down to it, it doesn’t bother me a whole lot because I have nothing to do with it. If you stop and think about it, I don’t have nothing to do with it. I mean that in a good way.”
Manuel led the Phillies to their second championship in the franchise’s 130-year history and five consecutive NL East titles. He has also set franchise-bests leading his 2011 squad to 102 wins, and surpassing Gene Mauch with the most managerial wins (currently 727) as a Phillie. The Phillies overall have a .561 winning percentage under his stewardship.
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 74
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Rosenthal proposal: make relievers face more than one batter per appearance (74)