Mar 15, 2013, 2:50 PM EDT
Starling Peralta is back with the Cubs after the Diamondbacks returned the Rule 5 pick to his original organization.
As a 21-year-old who spent last season pitching at low Single-A he was always a long shot to crack the Opening Day roster and then Peralta gave up seven run in three innings of spring training action.
All of which makes this February 21 article from the Diamondbacks’ official website titled “Peralta opening D-Backs’ eyes” sort of amusing:
When they selected Starling Peralta from the Cubs in the Rule 5 Draft in December, the D-backs knew they were getting a pretty good pitcher. After watching him throw a couple of live batting-practice sessions, the right-hander might be better than they thought.
And then after watching him throw in actual games, they decided to send him back to the Cubs. Such is life as a Rule 5 pick.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (151)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)