In which A.J. Pierzynski talks about wrestling

Mar 15, 2013, 11:02 AM EDT

A.J. Pierzynski AP

A lot of people don’t like A.J. Pierzynski. I’ve never really gotten that. I mean, I can see how he has annoyed various teams and fan bases over the years, but it’s not like he’s ever done anything egregious.

I will say, though, that if he is a bad person, it’s because he preferred Hulkamania and WWF stuff to the clearly superior NWA and later WCW brand of professional wrestling. I mean, I’m sorry, if you think Hulk Hogan was better at anything than Ric Flair was on his worst day, you’re probably in need of professional health, jack.

Drew Davison of the Star-Telegram spoke with Pierzynski about his wrestling obsession here. I’ll try to forgive Pierzunski, but I’m not sure how I can.

1. heatwave25 - Mar 15, 2013 at 11:06 AM

I’m sorry but it is Ric Flair not Rick Flair.

• Craig Calcaterra - Mar 15, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Ugh, awful on my part. Fixed now.

• kopy - Mar 15, 2013 at 12:23 PM

WOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

2. deathmonkey41 - Mar 15, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Suck it!!!

3. indaburg - Mar 15, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Never done anything egregious? I would file this under egregious:

“After he was hit in the groin by a foul ball during a spring training game, Pierzynski reportedly kneed trainer Stan Conte in the groin when Conte asked him how he felt. Pierzynski, who previously denied the incident took place, now says he kneed Conte to give himself some breathing room after three times asking Conte to let go of his chest protector and back away. Giants sources say the story took place as originally reported.”

• unclemosesgreen - Mar 15, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Who are you kidding? In Inda’s file cabinet, that one is filed under “hilarious.”

• indaburg - Mar 15, 2013 at 11:38 AM

lol.. touché, monsieur.

Purposely hitting someone anywhere, including the groin, is not hilarious. I don’t condone violence. Just funny accidents.

• historiophiliac - Mar 15, 2013 at 11:47 AM

That’s…um…my file cabinet…

• cur68 - Mar 15, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Purposely hitting your medical staff is indeed egregious. In a fair world, AJ paid a hefty fine. In fact, this being the Litigious States Of America, I wouldn’t be very surprised if he wound up having to settle legally with the trainer. No part of the trainer’s job should involve violence done onto him by players he’s there to help. Next time AJ takes one to the nutsack I’m going to applaud. . .applaud and hope the trainer keeps a good distance away. In fact I hope he doesn’t even leave the dugout.

• historiophiliac - Mar 15, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Hey, what’s with the Litigious States of America thing?

• cur68 - Mar 15, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Is this where you admit there really IS only a handful Sates instead of fifty and the rest are made up to bolster your national ego? I mean “Wyoming”?? As if.

• jwbiii - Mar 15, 2013 at 12:27 PM

I don’t know that he’s taken one in the family jewels of late, but there is this

• historiophiliac - Mar 15, 2013 at 12:53 PM

It’s only hilarious if HBPiD…or a Nolan Noogie.

• indaburg - Mar 15, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Wyoming? Well, the answer to that is clearly why not.

I never get tired of that picture, jwbiii.

4. unclemosesgreen - Mar 15, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Ric Flair has the big house on the big side of town, and he also has more cars than most of you got friends. So he has that going for him.

5. professormaddog31 - Mar 15, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Rowdy Roddy Piper or GTFO.

• Chris Fiorentino - Mar 15, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Jimmy “Superfly” Snuka or YOU GTFO

• tmohr - Mar 15, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Baron von Raschke.

And that is all the people need to know.

• JB (the original) - Mar 15, 2013 at 12:32 PM

No, all anyone needs to know is “The Crusher”

• professormaddog31 - Mar 15, 2013 at 12:52 PM

We’re going to have to agree to disagree, but seeing as how you’re a Phillies fan and I am a Braves fan that’s bound to be our lot in life.

Also – what’s your view on Macho Man Randy Savage? Oooooooh yeeeeaaaaaaah.

• professormaddog31 - Mar 15, 2013 at 12:56 PM

And this, too – Roddy Piper gave us one of the best B movies of all time, “They Live”. You have to give him props for that.

• tmohr - Mar 15, 2013 at 1:29 PM

The Baron and the Crusher – together!

http://youtu.be/wC8gXRby4Dk?t=4m (go to about 4:00)

• drewzducks - Mar 15, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Man vs. coconut…there can be no winner in that matchup.

6. nategearhart - Mar 15, 2013 at 12:22 PM

I don’t think it’s fair to compare Hogan to Flair. Hogan appealed to the lowest common denominator. WWF also had Randy Savage in his prime. Ricky Steamboat. Ted motherfuckin’ Dibiase. Andre The Giant. Big John Studd. It had much better depth than WCW, which after Flair had a cliff, then Piper and Harley Race, then a whole lot of shite.

• professormaddog31 - Mar 15, 2013 at 12:53 PM

F YEAH Ted DiBiase.

I watched a LOT of wrestling as a kid. Embarrassing now that I’m 30ish but I was totally into it back then.

• Kevin Gillman - Mar 15, 2013 at 5:23 PM

It’s not Fair to Flair.

• southpaw77 - Mar 16, 2013 at 5:19 AM

Sting, Lex Lugar, the Road Warriors, etc.

7. manmean - Mar 15, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Best report ever. Wooooooooooooooooooo!!!

P.S. Hogan sucks!

8. banger60 - Mar 15, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Dick the Bruiser baby. P.S. that’s what my GF calls me! lol!

9. mj2sexay - Mar 15, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Hogan ruled the 80’s as a face and then proved just how much of a utility player he could be by reversing course and absolutely ruling the late 90’s as a heel. Flair was a good babyface, not a great one. Hogan was great at both.

Kevin Nash put it best. In a sport where no one hits .300, scores 40 points or makes a tackle, the one discernible stat that proves x is better then y is drawing power. Hulk Rules baby.

And as far as wrestling chops, as much as I love the Nature Boy, go put on Wrestlemania 13, watch Bret-Austin and then tell me Bret isn’t just the absolute best when it came to in ring ability. And if you don’t believe me, ask him I’m sure he’ll tell you.

10. Gobias Industries - Mar 15, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Can I get a vote for GLOW? Anybody? Mountain Fiji? Sally The Farmer’s Daughter? Hello?!

True story: Jake “The Snake” Robert’s snake nearly pissed on my LA Gears at the Westchester County Center back in ’87.

11. cbj7913 - Mar 15, 2013 at 2:08 PM

nWo 4 lyfe!

12. frank35sox - Mar 15, 2013 at 3:36 PM

I’ve never understood why people think he’s such a bad guy either. It all started when Michael Barrett punched. Shouldn’t have been standing there I guess.

13. jasonforb - Mar 15, 2013 at 6:30 PM

“My roommate here is a former wrestler, the Demon from WCW, his real name is Dale Torborg and now he’s the White Sox’s minor league strength coach.”
    So how much more frequent are White Sox minor leaguer drug tests?

14. schmedley69 - Mar 15, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Ric Flair and the Road Warriors trumped any wrestlers that the WWF had in the mid 80’s.

15. southpaw77 - Mar 16, 2013 at 5:24 AM

The phenomenal AJ Pierzynski, dont know how anyone can watch WWE now since its a G-rated kids show now, gone are the days of attitude with Stone cold, DX, the Rock, Val Venis and the Godfather’s Ho train.

PS- Hogan is badly overrated, I mean if doing a back rake, body slam, punches, boot and leg drop are the whole arsenal of his moves then fine. Then the Hulking up angered me as a kid, how no one kicked him in the nuts while he did that I’ll never get. Prefer the Macho Man, oooh yeah!

16. foreverchipper10 - Mar 17, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2861)