Jim Edmonds hired to do pregame and postgame shows for Cardinals games

Mar 15, 2013, 11:32 AM EDT

Jim Edmonds swing

Jim Edmonds continues to solidify his post-playing relationship with the St. Louis Cardinals. Last month he was hired as a special instructor. When spring training winds down he’ll be doing something else. Dan Caesar of the Post-Dispatch reports:

Former Cardinals center fielder Jim Edmonds has been hired to replace Cal Eldred as the primary analyst for many Cardinals pregame and postgame shows on Fox Sports Midwest’s Redbirds coverage.

He’ll do about half of the FSM broadcasts, alternating with Al Hrabosky, Rick Horton and Chris Duncan.

At least until he gets injured leaping to a conclusion. See, because Edmonds, when he was a player used to … oh, never mind.

1. multiplemiggs - Mar 15, 2013 at 11:44 AM

F*ck the Cardinals. Cheating roid taking flukes

• carbydrash - Mar 15, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Tell us how you really feel…

• stlouis1baseball - Mar 15, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Thanks for that incredibly positive…exceedingly knowledgeable insight.

Oh…and this should help you. No need to thank me.
      When someone’s ignorance prevents them from understanding basic grammar and/or grasping of the English language I try to do my part by offering whatever assistance I can.

Fluke: (noun) – A chance occurrence; an accident.

So…based upon your post the Cardinals’ (11) World Series titles were won by chance?
      They were possibly even won by accident?
      ***The next time you (or most likely your Parents) buy you book…don’t rip the pages out.***
      ***You kin git yerself sum good learnin’ frum um’.***

• historiophiliac - Mar 15, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Is this an alternate universe where the Woodpecker polices grammar????

• stlouis1baseball - Mar 15, 2013 at 1:12 PM

LOL! I know…it certainly isn’t my role. But when someone is an obvious tool I try to do my best at belittling them (hence the rip the pages out comment).

2. carbydrash - Mar 15, 2013 at 11:44 AM

It’s easy to forget how amazingly good Jim Edmonds was during his peak in STL:

2000: 42 HR, .295/.411/.583 6.1 WAR
    2001: 30 HR, .304/.410/.564 5.6 WAR
    2002: 28 HR, .311/.420/.561 6.5 WAR
    2003: 39 HR, .275/.385/.617 5.8 WAR
    2004: 42 HR, .301/.418/.643 7.2 WAR

That for an excellent (though overrated) defensive center fielder!

• Chris Fiorentino - Mar 15, 2013 at 12:20 PM

I think Edmonds is a Hall of Famer, but with all this steroid nonsense, there’s going to be such a backlog in a few years that some deserving people may not get in. If you look at his career though, he was a great player deserving of a bust in the Hall.

• carbydrash - Mar 15, 2013 at 1:53 PM

I agree… I’ll let the people at Beyond the Boxscore doing my arguing for me: http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2011/1/28/1961125/jim-edmonds-no-doubt-hall-of-famer

That being said, I don’t think he’ll get in. Center Fielders tend to be undervalued…they are usually directly compared to corner outfielders, though they lay pretty far apart on the defensive spectrum.

At the end of the day, Jim was one of the 10 best center fielders to every play the game, he has career numbers very similar to pretty non-controversial Hall of Famer Duke Snider (Snider was a *bit* better of a hitter, Edmonds was a better fielder) and had a five year run where he was, hands down, the best center fielder in the game. But, he will just be viewed as an outfielder with 390 home runs.

• coryfor3 - Mar 15, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Really?
        If they open a Hall of the Suspiciously Very Good, he’s in.

Or a Hall of People Who Have an Injury and Make Sure Everyone Knows It Because They Are Really Obviously Gritting It Out and You Can Tell By Every Movement and Facial Expression, then he’s in. (Along with Brett Favre)

• stlouis1baseball - Mar 15, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Ahhh…wonderful post. Until the last sentence.

• paperlions - Mar 15, 2013 at 2:01 PM

• carbydrash - Mar 15, 2013 at 3:08 PM

“Yeah, I think he was rated about right. He was a very good CF for a long time…which is what people considered him to be.”

I remember a poll done by MLB around 2008 ish or so, where they asked people vote for the greatest defensive players of all time at each position (I cannot for the life of me find a link to this, so apologies if I dreamed it). I know Edmonds ranked 4th, ahead of Andruw Jones. That’s where I’m getting my over-rated from.

For a time period there, there was a lot of talk that Edmonds was one of the best defensive fielders of all time…this was definitely an overstatement and what I’m referring to when I call him “overrated”.

• paperlions - Mar 15, 2013 at 4:41 PM

I meant people that have a clue….”people” think Jeter is a great defensive player and even managers/coaches don’t realize he’s a horrible SS. Sorry, I should have clarified.

3. gostlcards5 - Mar 15, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Well played, Craig. I was with you all the way.

4. okwhitefalcon - Mar 15, 2013 at 1:33 PM

I wonder if Jimmy Ballgame will break out his (in)famous manscara/guyliner?

5. coryfor3 - Mar 15, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Will he be unnecessarily diving into different topics?

With his need for drama I would have expected to see him on my tv in a soap opera before this.

You see what I am getting at here? He had a real knack for making easy plays “spectacular”.

• stlouis1baseball - Mar 15, 2013 at 3:43 PM

“He had a real knack for making easy plays “spectacular”.”
      This sounds very much like Ryne Sandberg.

• coryfor3 - Mar 15, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Nah- Sandberg made everything look easy because he never dove for anything. You can’t make errors when the only ball you get to is the one you can just bend down and pick up (ok- sometimes a backhand and off balance throw was necessary).

• stlouis1baseball - Mar 15, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Sandberg dove for everthing. Regardless of need.

6. stlouis1baseball - Mar 15, 2013 at 3:46 PM

On a different topic…Happy Birthday to one of the most underated Centerfielders in MLB…Jon Jay.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3862)