Mar 15, 2013, 9:03 PM EDT
Garland could have taken an offer from the Indians prior to signing with Seattle, but he came here after a talk with manager Eric Wedge. I wasn’t there for the chat, but I guaratnee you it went something like: “If you do what you did before, you will make this team.”
So far, Garland has looked very good this spring. Hitters are pounding the ball into the ground off him. He’s thrown 200 innings in a season before — none of the young guys have — and the Mariners need that kind of depth.
I’m assuming he stays.
Garland missed all of the 2012 season after having surgery on his right shoulder in July 2011. The 33-year-old has a career 4.32 ERA over his 12-year career. He was good as recently as 2010 pitching in the pitcher-friendly confines of Petco Park in San Diego. That year, he finished with a 3.47 ERA in an even 200 innings. Seattle’s Safeco Field is similarly pitcher-friendly, so Garland could potentially enjoy success with an opportunity, if given one.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 56
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)