Mar 15, 2013, 12:34 PM EDT
Rafael Furcal had Tommy John surgery today. You’ll be shocked to hear that it was successful. He also had a bone spur removed from his right elbow, reports the St. Louis Post-Disptach. He did not spring for the undercoating, however. As of a week ago, Furcal was given a 6-8 month recovery window, which will cost him the entire 2013 season.
In the Cardinals’ future: Pete Kozma at shortstop. In Furcal’s future: second base, perhaps. And that’s at best. He’ll be 36 when he comes back next year, so it’ll not be an easy task for him to find a job.
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 16
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 15
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 41
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 48
- Mike Trout hits two homers, including a grand slam, to take MLB lead 13
- Zack Greinke’s scoreless innings streak ends at 45 2/3 7
- Royals acquire ace Johnny Cueto from the Reds 71
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)