Mar 15, 2013, 12:34 PM EST
Rafael Furcal had Tommy John surgery today. You’ll be shocked to hear that it was successful. He also had a bone spur removed from his right elbow, reports the St. Louis Post-Disptach. He did not spring for the undercoating, however. As of a week ago, Furcal was given a 6-8 month recovery window, which will cost him the entire 2013 season.
In the Cardinals’ future: Pete Kozma at shortstop. In Furcal’s future: second base, perhaps. And that’s at best. He’ll be 36 when he comes back next year, so it’ll not be an easy task for him to find a job.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (130)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)