Mar 15, 2013, 12:34 PM EDT
Rafael Furcal had Tommy John surgery today. You’ll be shocked to hear that it was successful. He also had a bone spur removed from his right elbow, reports the St. Louis Post-Disptach. He did not spring for the undercoating, however. As of a week ago, Furcal was given a 6-8 month recovery window, which will cost him the entire 2013 season.
In the Cardinals’ future: Pete Kozma at shortstop. In Furcal’s future: second base, perhaps. And that’s at best. He’ll be 36 when he comes back next year, so it’ll not be an easy task for him to find a job.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 25
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)