Mar 15, 2013, 12:34 PM EDT
Rafael Furcal had Tommy John surgery today. You’ll be shocked to hear that it was successful. He also had a bone spur removed from his right elbow, reports the St. Louis Post-Disptach. He did not spring for the undercoating, however. As of a week ago, Furcal was given a 6-8 month recovery window, which will cost him the entire 2013 season.
In the Cardinals’ future: Pete Kozma at shortstop. In Furcal’s future: second base, perhaps. And that’s at best. He’ll be 36 when he comes back next year, so it’ll not be an easy task for him to find a job.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 49
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 15
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)